Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to all :)

I have doubt about the new 3 maples pieces in guitars like Ibanez RG350DX for example. I search in the forum, and view a lot of pictures of old Ibanez Rg... I think that for an economic guitar he is better this than the old scarf joint, even in the some old scarf joint like Rg570 guitars, but i´m not sure. My idea to buy a guitar by these days is the Ibanez Rg350DX, and soon to customise with diamrzio pickups and Floyd Rose Pro, and to have a guitar for all the life. But i think in the neck, and don´t know if it will hold well with time, specially in this 3 maple pieces or see any old rg with scarf joint?... All opinions and experience are welcome.. Best regards to all...

PD: Je je, please, visit my web about Guitars & luthery in this link :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
As opposed to the one-piece necks with scarf joints, the 3-piece maple neck will be much sturdier and durable.

El cuello con los tres pedazos es más firme que los cuellos que tengan un scarf joint. (¿Cómo es mi español? Jajaja)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gibson did the scarf joint 32 years ago, and the Marauders I've seen, all have had solid necks. I agree that the three piece should be more stable, but I haven't seen any real proof.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well the main proof is that that awful scarf joint is gone and that elimnates huge problems in the long term. Its simply a cheap way to build a neck. Although time will tell how long my RG520 will hold up. It has a scarf joint but is multi piece as well (maple/bubinga/maple) and my bet is the scarf joint is gonna crack before the neck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I REALLY doubt that! Todays glues are so much stronger that the wood itself! If you had an old, throw-away scarf joint neck, put it in a hydrolic press as see for yourself. I'd bet my 540R (Scarf neck joint) that the wood would break before the glue joint!

·
Registered
310 Posts
The main point with ibanez scarf joints is the rear mount locking nut. On 99% of the RGs with scarfs and locking trems, the nut is rear mount, which is the main reason you get those nasty nut stress cracks (becase of humidity, a fall, or tightening the bolts too much). Unlike the newer models which are top mount and have a volute behind them and could probaly take a fall directly to the headstock. Also, ibanez used lower quality wood for the headstock so of course its going to crack before the scarf.

The 3 and 5 piece is more stable because the glued joints are very strong and dont allow as much warping and twisting. In the long term i suppose there would be much more durabilty and stabilty but who knows how much effect it will have in the short
term. Another thing i just thought of does anybody have an RG or JEM or UV where the neck for 24-3 frets are straight and then on the 1st fret the neck backbows? The multi piece would probably fix this occasional problem as its a couple of big long pieces, giving a consistant bow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts