Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, about 2 1/2 moths ago I bought a 1989 RG760 on E(vil)bay, as a fixer-upper backup to my RG750.. I decided I'd wait till it got here, then make up my mind about what mods to do..

So, I get the guitar, Jewel Blue, and I think: "you know, this would look sweet with a white pearl pickguard, and I'd rather have H-S-H anyways.." The seller didn't have a working truss-rod cover, so might as well get a matching one, right? :wink:

So, email EKG, order pickguard/rod-cover, rout and shield the crap outta the body.. Get pickups out for it(Dimarzio: Super3, Blue Velvet, PAF Pro), clean up the frets, sand down and tung oil the neck, you know the usual.. :) Just need to get some 'ebonizer' to make the fretboard look more consistant.

This is the(mostly) finished guitar:

Full Shot
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5253536

Body
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5253541

Headstock
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5253543

Big thanks to EKG for the guard/cover.. :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yeah, I'll get some better pics once I get a new digital camera.. I stupidly left my old one at work a bit too long, and someone spilled some rather toxic fluid onto it.. Melted the casing.. :( I am so happy I didn't buy a top of the line model when I got it.. Another $70 one is in my future..

She's definitely sweet as hell in person. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is a Non-AANJ right?

I wish I can do a put together of a AANJ binded neck with Sharktooth inlays and a Maple Fret board, that would be too sweet.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.. Yeah, going for somewhat simple but evil look... :twisted:

Yeah, it's old-heel, Bensalem plate(not that it means anything ;) ).. I've had a couple AANJ models, but I think the old heel sustains/resonates better, for some reason.. The big block doesn't bother me much.. :D

She's loud accoustically, but that might be from the huge rout.. :wink:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh, she might become #1, but that'll be hard.. I've had my RG750 for almost a decade, that guitar is a part of me..

This one is damn sweet though, and the pics do not do the Jewel Blue finish justice. :D I really wish Ibanez would bring it back to the higher-end RGs.

Thing cost about $450-$500 from start to finish(though, I had the tools, and PAF Pro, already).. Ebay can be decent, especially for the older models..

I did find out that the 'ebonizer' stuff is black, oil based, leather dye... So, off to the boot/shoe shops I go.. :)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Nice nice nice nice nice nice ...

Actually, very beautiful... Makes me want to mod my 570EX.

But, I'm currently fixated on my pickup selection (one mod at a time)...

I noticed you have a very hot bridge humbucker, then an almost silent mid, and a semi-hot neck bucker.

Are there noticeable drops in volume when you switch? Maybe it is your plan and that's fine for you. I'm thus wondering if it is that important (the pickup output). Thanks.

MODS: I'm almost guilty of cross-posting... sorry.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The middle pickup on that one is a reverse-wound Blue Velvet bridge model.. I wired it up a bit different than the normal 5way H-S-H wiring, instead of the middle switch position being the single coil by itself, it's the JPM middle position. Neck and bridge tapped, so all positions on the switch are hum-cancelling..

There's a slight drop in volume in the 2-3-4 positions, but I only notice it on the clean channel.. I've started using those tones for chords, and the neck hum for leads, while the amp is clean.. Sort of an instant boost.. lol

Kind of a metal head, so I usually don't use anything but the bridge and neck positions for high-gain stuff.. :twisted:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts