Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's tone are you most trying to emulate?

I'd say I'm going for a cross between Andy Timmons and Brad Gillis. I've already found that the Vai tone doesn't work well with my style of playing. Petrucci's tone is just too elusive. Besides, I'm not sure it would work well for me. But I hear alot of tonal inflections from Timmons I hear in my own. Brad Gillis was my main inspiration for years in the 80's. I tried for a couple years to cover Brad Paisley well. But that just ain't gonna happen.

I think the gear I currently own lends itself well to what I'm trying to get. So, the endless spending should be on hold for now........................but then again. Do we ever stop buying gear? :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Definitely Eddie's "brown" sound. Even if he IS a tool, thesedays, that tone is STILL killer. That or Angus's tone, on "Walk All Over You". Listen to his opening chords. Gives me goosebumps. brrrrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
352 Posts
would love to have Gary moore's tone, I love how when he shreds it kinda goes a bit mushy in some parts that floats my boat bahaha

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Petrucci at TOT and 8varium or Marco Sfiglioli at James LaBrie's Elements of Persuasion.
OR, i'd love to play a mix beetwen PabloGilberto, Greg Howe and Vai, but TONALLY it's almost impossible: each one has dif EQ settings...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
SRVs's tone is very easy to achieve. Just get a Strat with some Texas Specials, some heavier gauge strings, and a vintage voiced amp. Throw in a Tubescreamer or Maxon OD-808 and bam, you've got it.

I've been wanting Petrucci's classic tone, but I'm afraid I'll need a higher gain amp to achieve it.

Vai's wouldn't be bad either :).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Randy Rhoads tone is simply IMPOSIBLE, I gave up years ago...bought some old MXR and BOSS pedals...to no avail..... sound razor sharp and the top end its beyond this world...just listen to SATO, and then Cry...

1 - 20 of 161 Posts