Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is hilarious, and says something about music in general. A guy has taken a piece of scrap wood, and EMG 85, a tuner and a guitar string and made a one string djent stick!

The song is played through a POD XT too.

Say what you will, but why spend thousands, if something like this works for you. I'm sure the guy made this as a joke, but its also a bit of a joke towards tone snobs too. If you can do this with a piece of scrap wood, an EMG 85 and a POD XT, why do you really need to buy an expensive custom shop guitar, Axe FX, or what ever crazy pricey piece of expensive gear?

This is the article I saw about it:
http://www.thecirclepit.com/2014/01...oke-genre-parody-or-musical-wake-up-call.html

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
or what ever crazy pricey piece of expensive gear?
Because I can afford it and you can't. Obviously there are many who can afford it, so it doesn't make the custom shop/high end/boutique customers special at all - it still feels good to own the BEST gear available!

Peavey Rage (pre blue stripe only, pls)
1987 Fender 7 string
George L cables

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't meaning that at all, but there is GAS, and gear snobbery that sometimes gets out of hand. It's more about how this guy managed to get the sort of tones on an expensive album production using some scrap wood and a pickup and string plugged into a cheap modeller. It is possible to do great things with very little.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
That album has notoriously ****ty production. EVERYONE was bitching about it.

Personally, I dont buy high end gear for the tone, its more about playability.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I wasn't meaning that at all, but there is GAS, and gear snobbery that sometimes gets out of hand. It's more about how this guy managed to get the sort of tones on an expensive album production using some scrap wood and a pickup and string plugged into a cheap modeller. It is possible to do great things with very little.
I wasn't being too serious, I thought the list at the end would make that clear. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts