Ibanez JEM Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 3489 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The new lens looks sharp. Tamron 17-50mm non VC. I know this lens has been around for a while but it still seems like the best deal out there for an all purpose f/2.8.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Yes 17-50 constant 2.8. This is the made in Japan version. Really excellent optics. Slightly noisy AF which I can live with.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Rotti, yeah noisy and I bet slower to AF than USM lenses. But as you said, great optics! Same deal as my Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8. :)

One more from the Alps project:

Jungfraufirn Glacier, inside the Jungfrau-Aletsch UNESCO protected area.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Just messing around with the new lens. Waiting for nicer weather.
I would like some feedback on exposure and color. I think that my new monitor is set very bright which might make my photos look darker on other people's screens.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Those actually look very nice. Crisp and bright. They definitely don't seem to dark at all.

How are you liking that lens? I think I'm going to be in the market for a new one coming up before summer gets rolling down here.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Thanks jaxadam,
The lens seems alright. I need to use it more to decide how much I really like it. It is definately sharp. It focuses fast and accurately (although noisy). The zoom feels very smooth and professional.
The bokeh seems a little harsh but thats no big deal. There is some vigneting and distortion at 17mm. DXO fixes that easily.
For the price there really is not much else to choose on a crop sensor. The new Sigma 18-50 2.8 costs a lot more, the Canon 17-55 costs WAY more. For me the only other option is the new Sigma 17-70 with usm and OS. It's a tough choice between that and the Tamron. The sigma has more reach and macro ability and the Tamron has a constant 2.8. I guess you can't go wrong with either.
If I was shooting only landscape I probably would have gone for a good used Canon 17-40L but I will be using this indoors a lot too so the 2.8 is a must.

I should also add that if you look at the Tamrons there is a VR and non VR version. Mine is the non VR. It is supposed to be sharper. Also some are made in Japan and some in China. Mine is made in Japan. I don't know if it matters but I feel like the Japan model might have better QC at the factory.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
great shots guys in many recent pages.

Rotti is there exif data in your web images? my FF plugin showing none but i assumed the box shots are f/2.8? Please lemme know how you make out with that people shooting as it might be a good lens for my wife to pair with her T1i crop body. She is using my old 28-104/3.5-4.5 usm macro with good results. Cheaper and lighter is better for her. Thanks... glen

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I ran it through DXO Optics pro. Maybe that program stripped the data. Anyway I thought it was 2.8 but the exif data says f/3.5 Here is the non DXO version. Sharpness is not a problem at any aperture with this lens.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Thanks. To me sharpness tends to be overstated as a problem but that lens is very sharp & clear. If the AF holds up - especially off-center AF point - that is a steal. Shots that clear even f3.5 is great :) Enjoy.... glen

2701 - 2720 of 3489 Posts