Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been Reading... And reading about what amp to get. I've had the peavey JSX for over a decade and it has served me well. It's 120 watts... And I am ready for something more refined. My pops had the same amp as me... We bought them at the same time. He bought a SLO 100... And holy crap... It's an experience. Then I got the bug. I had been looking at the v30 from Victory. I've read only good things about it. And then it was brought to my attention that were was a SLO 30...

WELP...!

It's ordered
Cartoon Gesture Happy Art Font

So far I have sold 4 pickups... A neck, I have a few pedals on ebay. And then I have to sell my JSX. Which I just retubed about 8 months ago. Musicians friend had a couple in stock. I would have bought from sweet water... But they were out.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I love mine! It's a very loud 30 watts, I have it on a Soldano 2 x 12 slant. Maybe too loud for a bedroom amp, but I assume that's not what you're looking for.
Its way dang expensive too, Maybe a bit overpriced. but I guess it is what it is. Certainly has that SLO tone.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am definitely looking for something that can get loud... But this 120 watt I have now, I just won't use that head room. Plus it's not a Soldano 😎🤓. It's going to be my only amp... But I do want something that is good for the studio or a live gig. I have a 4x12 cab with celestion customs in it. It was from my line 6 Vetta II (YUCK), worst amp I ever owned. The cabinet is awesome though. Thick Birchwood... Very well constructed. And the speakers are fairly neutral. It has a switch on the back to change the cab to multiple different ohm settings for stereo or mono. Back in 2006 it was a $600 cabinet.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I had a SLO 100 with an Engl 4X12 and a row of stomp boxes. When i got older the first modeler came up. I wanted to get rid of my heavy weight equipement an so i tried the first Line6 modeler, the AxyS212. It sounded good an so i sold my old things. Later i bought the update to the AX2. I also had the Vetta models. Today i play through a Helix in FRFR Boxes and i like the sounds and possibilities and less weight. I cannot retrace the statement " Vetta, worst amp ever", i had good times with the Vetta.
I regret selling the SLO seeing, how sought after it is today.
Cheers !
Wolfgang

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never played a Vetta, just the Vetta II. But any solid-state amp sounds terrible with a band. I've had the axis and the AX2. Those were pretty nice sounding amps, but lacked thickness... Bottom end. And it was over compressed. When I bought a tube amp it cut through the band like a knife.

Though this SLO 100 my father has (the newer models are modded versions of the oringals... They're more quiet and have a great fx loop) it sounds clear no matter where you are standing in the room. I am excited to get the 30! But it looks like it won't ship until Monday 😕.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well it arrived today! Musicians friend was out of them... (Even though it said "in stock")They had one at their guitar center store in Tampa. It was just opened less than a month ago... So I got it 10% off! I had to ask for the discount though 😑. Typical guitar center... But it came with a free head cover! Apparently they don't come with them. Sumbitch is normally over $100 for the cover. It's really nice... Padded too. I get home around 8pm on Tuesday and Thursday... The kids are asleep so... I don't get to play it tonight... Just stare and drool 🤤. I'll post some videos of it with the newly refinished 540r! Hopefully this weekend.
Eyewear Font Audio equipment Gadget Bumper

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got to play through it a bit this morning. And after the kids woke up I cranked it. And WOW that's a loud 30 watt head. I honestly have no idea how 30 watts could be that loud. And I noticed this which I thought was pretty funny.

Font Material property Automotive tire Circle Measuring instrument

1 - 9 of 9 Posts