Ibanez JEM Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

Registered
Okay so I've done some reading about isocyanates. If you can smell them you're over exposed... According to 3M my filters will filter them out, the only problem is isocyanates do not give off an odor at lower exposure levels... So there is no way for you to tell when it's time to change the filters... And if you can smell it, it's too late. So thankfully these were brand new filters when I started. Although I have sprayed 6 coats of primer... 3 coats of base coat, 3 of the chroma coat, and 5 clear coats. That's quite a bit of painting... So I am going to order new filters before I continue any more. And absolutely wear clothes that completely covers me... Goggles... A hat. At least I am outside. Christ I knew this stuff was dangerous but it definitely has me concerned. And now my brain is going to make me feel like I have symptoms of some issue even though I don't... Cuz that's my brain 馃槕. Thanks for the heads up Zoot.

Update: just bought a 3m 6800 series full face respirator... And a tripple pack of cartridges.
Aye , when I first used it I wasn't aware of how dangerous it was until I heard from a friend who refinishes guitars. He had a really bad episode where he awoke in hospital not knowing why he was there...he'd passed out while spraying 2k. It caused him a lot of problems and most of them are now terminal.

H e warned me of how it can quickly enter your body through the eyes and skin.
I now where a full body suite and tape it over my gloves and leave no part of my body exposed. I also use the 3m mask but throw it away and use a new one when starting separate work.

Not trying to lecture, I'd just hate someone to ruin their future health or even worse.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Absolutely, I appreciate your input. Since you've pointed that out to me I have been talking to people I know in the business and all of them say "don't worry, what you have was good enough for one time, don't do it again... Get the right equipment." So now I am going to prepare in a much safer way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So I figured I'd buy what I needed to do a leveling, crowning and polish before I put Everything back together. Turned out pretty nice. I am going to wet sand the body and head stock... Then assemble. Hopefully it'll all be together by the end of the weekend.

Hand tool Tool Wood Tape measure Calabaza
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Rectangle Wood String instrument accessory
Wood Guitar accessory Tool Ruler Knife
Wood Wood stain Art Hardwood Gas
Brown Table Wood Wood stain Hardwood

41 - 43 of 43 Posts