Ibanez JEM Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1375 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Black or gold hardware??? I like the black hardware best. It isn't as common.
I love the gold one, couldn't afford one when they were available so I had to settle for S470. It's not until in 2002 that I got myself a S540FMttsand recently a S540LTDsol when I was in Indonesia. :)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I should have said cosmo black.

I have a biased opinion...

I was fortunate my first S was a brand new 1990 S540LTD..

See...I still have all the original manuals, warranty card etc...what a great guitar!

I really like the S540LTDsol too!!...thanks for stoppin bye...there is a stool here for you my friend and some popcorn

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Since I like to share my little tips and techniques with ya guys ...this is how I block ALL of my trems for string changes....

Works for me.

S-man

·
Registered
839 Posts
However, the one I really want is the 540S-SH in Lipstick Red, as pictured below. I'm guessing this one is super rare.

I've got a Lipstick Red '92 540S...just one extra pups and so much less rare hehe. I've always disliked the S-series before I got my Saber last year, because I simply couldn't ignore a good quality 'cheap' guitar with this sort of HSS layout and stacked single coil pups.

as for blocking trems for string changes...haven't done that for years. For cleaning the fretboard I simply unhook the trem and strings I change one at the time, which I guess makes it easier to tune them up as well.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Since I like to share my little tips and techniques with ya guys ...this is how I block ALL of my trems for string changes....

Works for me.

S-man
Man, I do that exact same thing, and pretty much have ever since I got my first RG550 back in 1988. I thought I was the only one who did that, since pretty much everyone who's seen me do that wonders what the hell I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
^^^Cool...I think it's super easy fast and safe....glad I'm not alone.

today's tidbit...

Bore oil...love this stuff for conditioning the fretboard.

*waits for Dees post about Fret Doctor*

:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
For blocking the trem for string changes on my sabres i use a 'lipsolve' lip balm tube. It is near perfect thickness for the job (its plastic so it can't scratch anything) and allows me to get pretty close to the balance point with my string tension so when i take it out, only a few minutes tweaking gets the bridge balanced and happy again at concert pitch/standard tuning.

I stuff a rolled up sock in the trem cavity when doing string changes on my Jem.

101 - 120 of 1375 Posts