Ibanez JEM Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to clearly point out that Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Zappa, BB King and Stevie Ray Vaghan etc are the true masters of guitar. I admire people like Satch and Vai but they are really, just good guitar palyers. What I mean is they can play fast and a hold load of techniques, but they have never written any albums that are truly recognised as the greatest of all time. Hendrix, Clapton etc will be remembered as the true inovators and champions of guitar, because they could write a decent album will fantastic songs. Heres an example; Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones is not a techniquely flashy player, but didnt he need to be. To write those amazing songs like 'sympathy for the devil' he didnt need to shred. Instead he played tasteful guitar that Vai or Yngwie could never do. I mean say for instance Keef and Vai had a guitar contest, there no doubting Vai would win. However Keith could say, 'yes that was amazing but where are the songs,' there just to indulent, noodly songs that really dont go anywhere. To be a fantastic guitar player you dont need to shred, you need to have taste and an ability to play guitar to whatever song with taste. Here is another example. Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time and the reason is, yes Yngwie could play faster, but who cares. Could these shredders ever write a song like 'Little Wing' or Eesy Rider' and the answer is no. The true masters recognised that flashy guitar wasnt evrything and would know when to play fast and when not to...............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
ashton said:
I would like to clearly point out that Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Zappa, BB King and Stevie Ray Vaghan etc are the true masters of guitar. I admire people like Satch and Vai but they are really, just good guitar palyers. What I mean is they can play fast and a hold load of techniques, but they have never written any albums that are truly recognised as the greatest of all time. Hendrix, Clapton etc will be remembered as the true inovators and champions of guitar, because they could write a decent album will fantastic songs. Heres an example; Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones is not a techniquely flashy player, but didnt he need to be. To write those amazing songs like 'sympathy for the devil' he didnt need to shred. Instead he played tasteful guitar that Vai or Yngwie could never do. I mean say for instance Keef and Vai had a guitar contest, there no doubting Vai would win. However Keith could say, 'yes that was amazing but where are the songs,' there just to indulent, noodly songs that really dont go anywhere. To be a fantastic guitar player you dont need to shred, you need to have taste and an ability to play guitar to whatever song with taste. Here is another example. Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time and the reason is, yes Yngwie could play faster, but who cares. Could these shredders ever write a song like 'Little Wing' or Eesy Rider' and the answer is no. The true masters recognised that flashy guitar wasnt evrything and would know when to play fast and when not to...............
I hate people like you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Couldn't disagree more. for the argument of Vai listen to to Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue, which vai played all guitar parts on and then tell me all Vai does is shred. For any Dave Lee Roth albums with him on, it's flash but it fits. The players you are talking about play differant styles so how can you compare? I admire Hendrix but not as much as Vai or Lynch.

Why is Hendrix the greatest player of all time? I don't think so, so who lays down that law. Yeah Hendrix wrote some amazing tunes and was an awsome player but he also wrote some real crap as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
It's all opinion, but here's mine anyway hehe

Hendrix, Vaughn, Clapton, Van Halen etc... are in a completely different league than Vai, Malmsteen, Satch, Gilbert, etc... which are also in a whole other league than say Page, Lennon, Richards, Iommi, etc...

The difference to me between the groups is this:
Hendrix and all those players were very innovative for their time, they played the instrument in ways and directions that influenced changes in the very culture of their times not to mention countless imiatators and fans.

Page and that group to me seemed to owe, at least in part, to being the right fit in the right band at the right time. The "whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" idea. I'm not saying that the bands carried these great players, just that it seems like without the band as a whole around them they accomplished far less.

Then the Vai group to me are the musician's musicians. They are (arguably) advancing the boundaries of guitar playing every bit as much as the first group, but they are having nowhere near the cultural or musical impact of those before them. They are flying below the mainstream radar for the most part, and their music doesn't cross that boundary between the student and the average person so to speak. It usually seems to go over the head of most people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,499 Posts
Only someone that knows nothing about guitar would say Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever. For one it's all a matter of opinion, and sure he was one of the greatest writers of all time (still not the best and I'm sure many would agree and disagree) He's not the greatest guitarist of all time. And all the other "masters of the guitar" (according to you) are truly masters of writing, but if your going to say anyone is the master of the guitar Via, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Becker, etc should all obviously be included. After all they all can be called masters of guitar seeing as how they've basically mastered all the techniques.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
That's because to be as big as the rolling stones now you have to wear stupid baggy clothes and wear as much bling bling as possible while making a racket over a computerised drum beat. As you say it's a cultural change. Where as 40 years ago bands like the beatles and rolling stones were the 50 cent of thier day....... just not quite as bling!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
ashton said:
I admire people like Satch and Vai but they are really, just good guitar palyers. What I mean is they can play fast and a hold load of techniques, but they have never written any albums that are truly recognised as the greatest of all time.
Well Vai and Satriani for example are playing rather unpopular music and who cares what's the greatest album of all time, it's just some guitar magazines and things like that who say what is the greatest album. It doesn't mean anything. My favorite album is Turn Back from Toto, it's melodic rock and deffinetly best album I've heard but generaly it's Toto's most underrated album and least known. Eric Clapton's music just happens to be popular music(mainstream?)

And you said that Yngwie and Vai aren't able to write ''tasteful'' songs. I can't disagree more. Evil Eye from Yngwie is great song, nice melodies or what about Icarus Dream Suite from Yngwie? You should listen to that song and don't say it's not melodic or tasteful!!! Satch song I Believe is just fantastic song!

Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, Malmsteen, Timmons, Moore can write as good songs as Jimi Hendrix or anyone else! Believe me!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,498 Posts
It's a while since I got to hang this sign on bars of the cage ...

"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not feed the trolls!!!"


Seriously though, in part I agree, the guitarists he mentioned will always be remembered as the "greats" because they were the pioneers.

First yes, best...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
"best" is the most over used word in the english language in my opinion. I've been on this site for about a year now and i can honestly say i believe everyone here with the exception of a select few ( the guy who started all this ) knows what they are talking about musically. i think we can all agree each of the guitarists mentioned and some that weren't are all great in their own way and thank god for each and every one of them for they all have influenced me in some way. as far as the "wow" factor i think as you get older more things impress you about a guitarists style weather it be Vai or Richards,Satch or Blackmore, Zakk Wylde or George Harrison etc.......... What i am trying to say is Vai's "freakshow Excess" drops my jaw but so does the little 4 second guitar solo at the end of "Strawberry Fields". So thank god for ALL the greats. Our musical lives would surely have suffered without any one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Chroma said:
It's all opinion, but here's mine anyway hehe

Hendrix, Vaughn, Clapton, Van Halen etc... are in a completely different league than Vai, Malmsteen, Satch, Gilbert, etc... which are also in a whole other league than say Page, Lennon, Richards, Iommi, etc...

The difference to me between the groups is this:
Hendrix and all those players were very innovative for their time, they played the instrument in ways and directions that influenced changes in the very culture of their times not to mention countless imiatators and fans.

Page and that group to me seemed to owe, at least in part, to being the right fit in the right band at the right time. The "whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" idea. I'm not saying that the bands carried these great players, just that it seems like without the band as a whole around them they accomplished far less.

Then the Vai group to me are the musician's musicians. They are (arguably) advancing the boundaries of guitar playing every bit as much as the first group, but they are having nowhere near the cultural or musical impact of those before them. They are flying below the mainstream radar for the most part, and their music doesn't cross that boundary between the student and the average person so to speak. It usually seems to go over the head of most people.
Like an old musician (Rock musician) said in an interview in Globovision's channel here once when asked: What about synphonic (prog) rock? Ahhh, synphonic Rock- he said- to listen to it u must have an educated ear. If you dont have it that sound might offend you see, thats what happens to this guy. I bet if this insane dude (man u must be sick or out of work or somethin to post this at JEMSITE for gods sake) asked Jimmy about Vai, tellin him all that crap he'll laugh straight at his face, OMG.

Dude (original poster) how old are you?, do u have cancer, AIDS or are about to die? DId your wive left you? You sound pretty depressed to me.

BTW I Also HAte MTV to my guts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
shawn7v said:
"best" is the most over used word in the english language in my opinion. I've been on this site for about a year now and i can honestly say i believe everyone here with the exception of a select few ( the guy who started all this ) knows what they are talking about musically. i think we can all agree each of the guitarists mentioned and some that weren't are all great in their own way and thank god for each and every one of them for they all have influenced me in some way. as far as the "wow" factor i think as you get older more things impress you about a guitarists style weather it be Vai or Richards,Satch or Blackmore, Zakk Wylde or George Harrison etc.......... What i am trying to say is Vai's "freakshow Excess" drops my jaw but so does the little 4 second guitar solo at the end of "Strawberry Fields". So thank god for ALL the greats. Our musical lives would surely have suffered without any one of them.
Thats why music is MUSIC and not MTV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
shredfreak said:
Well Vai and Satriani for example are playing rather unpopular music and who cares what's the greatest album of all time, it's just some guitar magazines and things like that who say what is the greatest album. It doesn't mean anything. My favorite album is Turn Back from Toto, it's melodic rock and deffinetly best album I've heard but generaly it's Toto's most underrated album and least known. Eric Clapton's music just happens to be popular music(mainstream?)

And you said that Yngwie and Vai aren't able to write ''tasteful'' songs. I can't disagree more. Evil Eye from Yngwie is great song, nice melodies or what about Icarus Dream Suite from Yngwie? You should listen to that song and don't say it's not melodic or tasteful!!! Satch song I Believe is just fantastic song!

Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, Malmsteen, Timmons, Moore can write as good songs as Jimi Hendrix or anyone else! Believe me!
Dudes, dudes just look for my posts (exact same nickname) at VAi.com forums (I cant remeber the forum threaed name). Theres a guy who says his guitar teacher said that Vai couldnt recognize feeeling when playing even if it bit him in the arse. Guess what, you're right another blues "player", I'm not sayin anythin agaisnt blues is just there are guys out there who think that thats it bout music.
 
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top