Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without any filing / modification, what's the thickest string gauge that would fit an Ibanez guitar?

a) Edge Zero + Barless Top-Lok (RG2550Z)
b) Gibraltar II + Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL (RG652FX)

Would the answer be different for any other bridges (Edge, Edge III, Lo Pro, Tight End etc.) or for a locking nut from a certain era?

I imagine there's some degree of variance (especially with the plastic nuts on fixed-bridge models), but approximations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The reason for my question:

I bought an RG652FX last summer with the intention of setting it up in B standard and installing D-Activators, primarily for death metal. I anticipate needing a string gauge in the region of 54-60 for the low B and assume this will require widening the slot (making it too wide for future use with lighter strings, without replacing the nut?).

It's currently in D standard with the stock Tone Zone & Air Norton and I'm now considering keeping this setup for doom and stoner metal, due to the Tone Zone's superior low-end and ease of switching between Eb/D/C tuning (compared to my other guitars, which all have floating trems and pickups with more of a high-end focus). This would mean getting another guitar to use in B standard.

I'm thinking that if I buy another RG (or perhaps RGD) for use in B standard, I may save myself hassle with the set-up if I get a model with a floating bridge, instead of fixed - due to the metal nut accommodating thicker strings without modification.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Great question and not something you see answered or asked often, original floyds and the edge and gotoh floyd have tons of room for thciker strings there probably is an upper limit but you do get a lot of leeway.

I fit 12-52 on my schaller FR without issue other than needig to adjust the bridge for intonation and typical fr setup.

Now does the edge zero have as much room for the string in the bridge?? I know from what I have seen it has a different type of string lock, perhaps you would need to buy a replacement one and have a spare to file down if it is needed.

The nut may require work but it might just fit a 54 without the need for work.

Maybe above that might be where things require work.

If the edge zero needs no work it will be easybut it might be a real pain should you need to adjust or start filing stuff to fit.

I think the fixed bridge option would be slightly easier work if it has to be modded.

Good luck!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

12-52 seems an unusual gauge. Custom balanced set?

I think I'm going to stick with my original plan of the RG652FX in B standard.

My collection was one short of what I wanted/needed, so I've got a late Christmas present to myself on it's way from Ibanez Rules - should arrive tomorrow :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.