Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes indeed you have. :)

The tone sounds really similar. Evos on the guitar I pressume?

Nice playing dude.

But the bit at the end when the songs ends and the room tour starts almost gave me motion sickness :)

Christopher.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
that's a GT6 you're using? would like to know the settings for that tone.

oh, and all my guitars are in the mail to you.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
What did you do, make a stale ham sandwich?

(just to avoid looking like a dick, I think it was Frank Zappa who once compared Vai's tone to a stale ham sandwich)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
a man that sounds exactly like him! is that a rg or J custom?

Also how do you connect your camera up to your computer, to put your videos on it!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good job with the song, as far as Vai tone goes, well DUH!!
your playing a Vai song.....give us some misc noodling

·
Registered
601 Posts
dude that sounds awesome! no other way to put it, youve beaten me hands down :) i bow down to you ;)

what gear you using dude? awesome effort.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey all, thanks for listening! Most appreciated it certainly is.

Heres a brief set up of how i recorded it:

Ibanez RG2570EX using the bridge bucker (Seymour Duncan JB) into a Boss GT 6 with a Vai patch ive been working on for ages but can never get there all the way. Boss GT6 normally goes into a Marshall MG50dfx, but today it went into my 100W Marshall VS100, which i handily mangaed to pickup for £50. I used the 4 cable method, so if any of you guys dont know how to use it, i'll explain if you want me to :). Just basically utilises your amps effects loop instead of a direct input.

The VS100 was mic'd centre on the cone with a Shure SM57, but a few cm back in order to avoid a harsher /clipped sound.
Recorded straight into my little Zoom MRS4 4-track onto smart media and whipped onto the PC.

Cool edit pro was used to mix it, and i did a little messing with the EQ, sterteo tracked the guitar and added a little reverb. Played a round a little with the panning too, as ive never really done much with it, because i noticed that on the breakdown in Juice the guitar seems to pan left about 75% i think.

Hope this helps, and thanks for taking the time to listen to the bloody 10MB file! Oh, and finally... it was a bitch synching up the video with the audio damnit lol!

Cheers!

Kev

·
Registered
601 Posts
good to hear about the 4cable method, i noticed you had that set up when your video panned accross it,

I too have a sd JB humbucker and some days i love it and others i really dislike it, dunno why.....but yeah tis a good loud meaty pickup!

Id be real interested to talk to you about the gt6 patch you used, it sounded awesome dude....

More specifically, what eq and preamp settings did you use in the 4cm for that tone??

Cheers

Jimmy

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow! 95% on for a really difficult song. The one noticeable thing is the distortion: Vai's is a smoother and warmer. That might be the small computer speakers and recording quality. I think power tubes might be the only remedy there.

-Devin

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JimmyJ said:
good to hear about the 4cable method, i noticed you had that set up when your video panned accross it,

I too have a sd JB humbucker and some days i love it and others i really dislike it, dunno why.....but yeah tis a good loud meaty pickup!

Id be real interested to talk to you about the gt6 patch you used, it sounded awesome dude....

More specifically, what eq and preamp settings did you use in the 4cm for that tone??

Cheers

Jimmy
Hey Jimmy, if you wanna PM me i can talk to you in more detail over msn if thats possible? Just Pm me your addy or whatever. If not, then i'll try to list it on here :)

Kev

1 - 20 of 26 Posts