Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'll try to be specific about my musical tastes and not be too vague. Basically I want something versatile enough to handle all kinds of music ranging from sparkling-clean pop to blues/jazz/progressive to heavy rock/metal.

I'll state my opinions on this guitar, and I need some feedback from you guys:

1) Versatile pickup configuration. H-S-H coupled with 5-way switching allows a wide range of tones to be accommodated. In particular, the single-coil pickup is good for twangy cleans suitable for milder stuff such as blues, jazz & pop music. That's the reason why I've deliberately chosen an axe with at least one single-coil pickup. Otherwise I would have chosen an all "buckers" axe.

On the other hand, switching to the humbuckers (or tapped with single) allows me to achieve a heavy, crunchy tone suitable for heavier stuff such as hard-rock & heavy thrash metal.

I've heard that the Dimarzio pickups on this guitar although not as good as the Evolutions on the higher end Ibanez's are heaps better than the stock pickups on the RG1570. Is this true? Can these pickups do screaming leads, tapping and pinch harmonics such as those heard in songs such as 'Eruption'? I know a lot depends on the amp used as well, but the guitar is a good starting point.

2) Double-locking floating tremolo. I forgot to mention that I'm a fan of guitar greats such as Steve Vai & Eddie Van Halen as well as their respective whammy-laden signature sounds. I've heard a lot of good things about the Edge Pro tremolo that comes with this guitar. Hell, even Mr. Vai himself uses the Edge Pro (and abuses it like crazy, ala 'Live at Astoria', right before 'For the love of God'), so I can't really go wrong with it.

Also can it do 'fluttering' sounds like those in the ending of 'Blue Powder'?

Excuse me for bringing song titles out of the blue but this being a 'jemsite', I would half-expect you guys to know Steve Vai and his incredible work. :D

3) Thin neck. I've heard both good & bad reviews about the Wizard necks. Good reviews: Very fast and good for lightning fast solos. Bad reviews: Super thin neck may feel comfortable at first, but after a while develops muscle cramps especially for larger hands. Is this true?

Also, is the thin neck as good for chords as they are for leads? Is the neck-width suitably sized for comfortable chord playing. Basically, I play a Squier Strat and love how the neck feels. Maybe we'll use the Fender neck as a benchmark. :D

For a new amp, I'm thinking of getting the Mesa Boogie F-50 (or F-30). I've heard that it is a very versatile amp that has very excellent cleans as well as a bad-ass distortion, which is exactly what I need i.e. versatility.

Anyone who uses an Ibanez RG with this amp, please tell me how good are they in terms of their capability to cover a wide range of tones.

I'm new to tube amps (been using solid-state all the while) so I'm not sure whether a 50 watts tube amp will be too loud for bedroom playing. I've heard that tube amps only sound good when their volumes are turned up. So in this case, should I get an attenuator for the 50W amp (F-50) or maybe go for the 30W amp (F-30 without attenuator). Basically I need an amp that is suitable for both bedroom playing and small gigs.

Just for the record, I initially thought of getting a Marshall (either TSL or DSL) but heard that Marshalls are generally over-priced (due to their name) and are not good for producing crystal-clear cleans as well as Mesa-like hard distortion. And my playing really covers both ends of the spectrum, which is why I've been considering the Mesa Boogie.

I guess I just want to make a musical investment that is worthwhile and allows for years and years of enjoyable musical indulgement.

Appreciate some good advice from you guys. Thanks a lot! :D

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
blackpuppets said:
I've heard that the Dimarzio pickups on this guitar although not as good as the Evolutions on the higher end Ibanez's are heaps better than the stock pickups on the RG1570. Is this true? Can these pickups do screaming leads, tapping and pinch harmonics such as those heard in songs such as 'Eruption'? I know a lot depends on the amp used as well, but the guitar is a good starting point.

2) Double-locking floating tremolo. I forgot to mention that I'm a fan of guitar greats such as Steve Vai & Eddie Van Halen as well as their respective whammy-laden signature sounds. I've heard a lot of good things about the Edge Pro tremolo that comes with this guitar. Hell, even Mr. Vai himself uses the Edge Pro (and abuses it like crazy, ala 'Live at Astoria', right before 'For the love of God'), so I can't really go wrong with it.

Also can it do 'fluttering' sounds like those in the ending of 'Blue Powder'?
The Dimarzio pickups are quite good, not as good as the EVO's but you will have no problem with tapping. pinch harmonics whatsoever with those pickups.

FYI Steve uses the Lo Pro Edge/original Edge, the Edge Pro replaced those back in 2003. The trem is just as good as the old ones (Lo Pro Edge/original Edge), fluttering should be no problem either, though someone here said a while back that Edge Pro doesn't flutter as well as the older trems. Read the review on ibanezrules.com.

Regards

André

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
my edge pros flutter wayyy better then any of my old edge's. Part of that could be that edges are getting a little wore, plus the arm holder is getting loose i think so they make lots of noise when fluttering. The edge pro on the other hand is nice and tight and flutters like great with just a flick of a finger.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
fettouhi said:
The Dimarzio pickups are quite good, not as good as the EVO's but you will have no problem with tapping. pinch harmonics whatsoever with those pickups.

FYI Steve uses the Lo Pro Edge/original Edge, the Edge Pro replaced those back in 2003. The trem is just as good as the old ones (Lo Pro Edge/original Edge), fluttering should be no problem either, though someone here said a while back that Edge Pro doesn't flutter as well as the older trems. Read the review on ibanezrules.com.

Regards

André
Sonically, Evos aren't 'better' than the IBZs. It depends on one's personal preference. And as for the Edge Pro, I heard that Joe Satriani has it equipped on on his guitars, and I heard that it performs exceptionally well. All in all, I think that the RG2570 is a very good guitar if you want to have sonic versatility in your playing.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Kamikaze_1 said:
Sonically, Evos aren't 'better' than the IBZs. It depends on one's personal preference. And as for the Edge Pro, I heard that Joe Satriani has it equipped on on his guitars, and I heard that it performs exceptionally well. All in all, I think that the RG2570 is a very good guitar if you want to have sonic versatility in your playing.
Joe doesn't have the Edge Pro on any of his guitars he has only the original Edge.

Regards

André

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Kamikaze_1 said:
Huh is it????? It's quite confusing then

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses so far.

Have anyone ever tried executing masterpieces such as 'Eruption' with this guitar?

Could those who own a RG2750 please tell me what songs they've played on this guitar and sounded really good. I really would like to know what this guitar is capable of. Maybe provide some sound clips :D and also a short description of the setup (amp & effects) required to achieve the recorded song/riff. :D

Wizard necks. How comfortable are they from your experiences? :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
superhairycamel said:
/\ /\ /\ /\
Dude about the necks, you have to play one, you cant decide if you like the FEEL or not on a guitar which you have not personally felt.
I know I can't make a judgement on anything until I've actually played it.

But I'd just like to know what the majority think of the neck so I can narrow down my search (I aint got enough time to try out all sorts of guitars in a guitar shop :D).

As far as neck width goes, is it similar to the Stratocaster? Appreciate your replies :D

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
blackpuppets said:
I know I can't make a judgement on anything until I've actually played it.

But I'd just like to know what the majority think of the neck so I can narrow down my search (I aint got enough time to try out all sorts of guitars in a guitar shop :D).

As far as neck width goes, is it similar to the Stratocaster? Appreciate your replies :D
Personally I really like the neck on my 7DBK which is wizard-like. To me it's comfortable and fast, but I don't have particularly large hands

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
The RG2570 is a fine guitar. The IBZ pickups are fairly loud and mean and harsh sounding. I would personally replace them, but a lot of people really like that sound so it's up to you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm having trouble deciding between the RG2570 and RG2550? I know feature-wise, they're both pretty much the same except for the looks. RG2550 is very JEM-like which looks very slick and stylish, only problem is the body is shiny and any minor scratches can be easily seen. RG2570 has got a very nice textured finish and looks sturdier than the RG2550. But I don't really dig the shark-tooth inlays, which IMO reminds me of a Jackson.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The difference, I think, between the two is that the 2570 has back routed controls whilst the 2550 has front routed controls, hence the pickguard. In my book, cosmetics come in fifth, after tone, playability, quality, and price. If you're looking for a guitar that can really be versatile, both are really good choices. I'm just saying that I'd go over sound and playability over cosmetics.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
blackpuppets said:
I'm having trouble deciding between the RG2570 and RG2550? I know feature-wise, they're both pretty much the same except for the looks. RG2550 is very JEM-like which looks very slick and stylish, only problem is the body is shiny and any minor scratches can be easily seen. RG2570 has got a very nice textured finish and looks sturdier than the RG2550. But I don't really dig the shark-tooth inlays, which IMO reminds me of a Jackson.
Well I will have to say this if you like the RG2550 for it's a little bit jem look alike... then you might as well save up some more money and buy the jem. If not then..... stick to the plan get the RG2570 . Besides, you've heard maany good comments on this Rg2570 right...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.