Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.I was just wondering what every ones thoughts are on project or customizing guitars is. I know there are a lot of die hard collectors who pay the big bucks for some of their fave guitars. Not everyone, me included can afford some of these higher priced guitars,and often turn to making replica jems etc. Although I would never put a "jem" sticker on a project guitar, there people who will. What are your thoughts on this. I would love to hear from Glen, Rich, and some of the older members( sorry I don't mean age),as you guys usually have something interesting to say, or really any one with an opininon. thanks chef21

·
Registered
623 Posts
Unless you do the woodworking and finishing yourself or you have a lot of spare parts lying around, cost is a bad reason to make a custom Jem. You'll have a hard time building one for under $1200, I think.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone object to people building Jem copies. (With the obvious exception of people trying to sell crappy knockoffs on the auction site.) Do a search--people have built some really nice ones.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If I had an ounce of woodworking ability, access to tools, and the diligence to build my own guitar, I'd never buy another production-model guitar again. Alas...

Even if it is expensive to build something really nice, which is more appealing: sinking $1500 into a guitar build completely to your own specs (including the "I built this" bragging rights) or dropping the same into a CNC'ed production model guitar where you're at the mercy of the specs the manufacturer thought would appeal to the most people (not always exactly what you want, right?)?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree Demiurge. Ofcourse you can order from some big company a custom shop made custom guitar with your own specs but it costs about 4000$( depending what kind of specs) and you have to wait 6 months. I am interested making own guitar, i mean buying for example old Fender start neck and Warmoth body, pickups and bridge etc. I think it would cost a lot less and you can make (or put together) a guitar of your dream specs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a custom being built now and I wouldn't even consider putting an Ibanez or Jem logo on it. In my opinion, the person who does the work deserves the credit. It will have the builders logo on the headstock so anyone who sees it knows who did it. Of course it will be obvious to most that mine isn't a real Jem anyway but I'm not interested in trying to make anybody think it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you shop around, you can build something at least as nice as the manufacturers. Costs range from slightly less to around the same price. The appeal of custom/kit guitars is that it not only puts an otherwise out-of-reach instrument into your hands, but it also lets you include features otherwise unavailable. I want to build a Strat with a floating Floyd and an ebony fingerboard - both features unavailable from Fender. As I'm not a woodworking artist with thousands of dollars in tools, companies like Warmoth will provide these at an acceptable price. I could care less what it will be worth to another person or if its got a big company decal on the headstock - my goal is to make an instrument to MY specs. And my budget.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I'm currently building a custom JEM/RG style guitar, well the body anyway. I've picked up an RG Wizard neck and my dad is building the body out of some nice alder. I've picked up a second hand GOTOH floyd rose in real good nick nice and cheap.

I'll be putting in some EMGs and paint the guitar myself too. All up it should cost me around AU$1000 when it's fully completed. I've already got some machine heads and locking nut on the neck but I'll replace them with matching chrome gear to go with the trem.

Only because my dad is making the body is this project going to be a cheapish one, but I'll be getting everything I want in a guitar for a lot less than if I bought something similar from a store/luthier.

I will be re-painting the headstock to match the body colour and I'll probably put another Ibanez logo on there, but there wont be a JEM logo as it's not a real one.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hmmm my thoughts are why the hell we are talking about this in off topic misc section when it clearly states below the title:

Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apoligize to everyone for putting this in the wrong spot. I only read the " off topic/miscellaneous" and didn't read the entire discription. Lighten up a little Scott 74, it was a mistake. Why the hell would you take the time to respond, if only to point out my errors. chef21

1 - 11 of 11 Posts