Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
currently have an ibanez gio Jumpstart ijrg200 iirc, looking for smth new
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of either getting an ibanez rg370ahmz or a jem jr (yellow one idk if that matters though) , and I'm kind of torn between them. any opinions or comparisons would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The trem will feel worlds apart. The Jem has a TRS floating Floyd style trem, which is mostly garbage... Easily upgradeable. And the other has an edge zero ii which is a good trem but they feel stiff. If you have the ability to play an Ibanez with the edge zero ii in person I would strongly suggest you do that before buying a EZ II equipped guitar.

Honestly for the money the RG550 genesis is better if you prefer a more traditional feeling floating trem. It comes with an original edge trem. It doesn't have the AANJ (all access neck joint) though. It's a traditional 4 bolt with a neck plate. It still has 24 frets... And All 3 offer very similar tones due to the HSH configuration. The quality of the RG's are going to be better. Though the genesis will offer your best bang for your buck and it'll be a MIJ guitar. The RG370 is awfully perty though. Definitely the looker out of the bunch. And if you like the EZ ii it'll be the better option over the Jem Jr.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a Jem Jr and it plays and feels better than my Premium Jem. It is a lotta bang for your buck though. I also have a RG 550 is probably a smarter bet, at least if you don’t want to have multiple guitars. I have one on the way, so I will let you know how it is.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The indo ibanez's are.... Eh... For me as well. Rich has mentioned they do not let the wood cure long enough. Resulting in the neck actually shrinking. Which I definitely experienced with my js24p back when I owned one. It played great after it was refretted haha. Also a fret slot was cut in the wrong spot, somewhere around the 16th fret... So everything played on the fret always sounded a little sharp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trem will feel worlds apart. The Jem has a TRS floating Floyd style trem, which is mostly garbage... Easily upgradeable. And the other has an edge zero ii which is a good trem but they feel stiff. If you have the ability to play an Ibanez with the edge zero ii in person I would strongly suggest you do that before buying a EZ II equipped guitar.

Honestly for the money the RG550 genesis is better if you prefer a more traditional feeling floating trem. It comes with an original edge trem. It doesn't have the AANJ (all access neck joint) though. It's a traditional 4 bolt with a neck plate. It still has 24 frets... And All 3 offer very similar tones due to the HSH configuration. The quality of the RG's are going to be better. Though the genesis will offer your best bang for your buck and it'll be a MIJ guitar. The RG370 is awfully perty though. Definitely the looker out of the bunch. And if you like the EZ ii it'll be the better option over the Jem Jr.
yeah I did like the ez ii bridge a fair bit when I tried it out, it was great In my opinion, better than a traditional floyd, it felt wayyy smoother a bit stiffer but I didn't mind it at all. I was however looking at mij ibanez guitars but couldn't really find anything in the price range, either that or they were damaged or worn out. I've heard not the greatest things about the Jr so thats why iwantes to ask the most reliable source about those guitars, opinions of fellow guitarists who own and play those guitars, and going back to the point of used and not in price range guitars, my dad doesn't want me buying a used guitar and it's not worth arguing with him, I might in the future but I'm currently looking for a replacement of my current gio Jumpstart set guitar, ijrg200 iirc the frets are uneven the bridge is garbage, I don't even want to use the trem seeing how badly it goes out of tune so I just made it a fixed bridge got it playable but it's not the best, thanks for the indepth comment though,greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Jem Jr and it plays and feels better than my Premium Jem. It is a lotta bang for your buck though. I also have a RG 550 is probably a smarter bet, at least if you don’t want to have multiple guitars. I have one on the way, so I will let you know how it is. View attachment 17521
yeah I was thinking about the rg550 as some other people.suggested but the price is the main thing scaring me away, they're almost all 750+ euro plus and I don't have that kind of money as a jobless 15 year old lol, I've heard lots of complaints about the Jem jr and that's the main thing that sets me off, also the bridge I've heard isn't the best but huge thanks for your opinion and addition to this thread!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Well with the proper adjustment of the trem and the rest of a full setup you would be looking at a couple hundred probably on top of the price of the Jem Jr, unless you and your dad can do the work required to get excellent playability.

The springs in the trem on the Jr aren’t very good. If you can get better springs you might be able to get the trem set up with 3 springs. On mine the springs were kind of weak, but I did manage to get it to return to pitch my adding the fourth spring included with the guitar, and backing the claw out farther from the wood in the cavity.

Have you looked at Harley Benton. They seem to have some really nice guitars, even some shredders like the Ibanez. Some of them even come with Stainless Steel frets for no a lot of money. But if you were to only have one guitar, the RG550 is a really good value. It has the original Edge tremolo on it, and is a guitar that could last your whole playing career.

What is your budget? Have you looked at some of Kramer’s offerings?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well with the proper adjustment of the trem and the rest of a full setup you would be looking at a couple hundred probably on top of the price of the Jem Jr, unless you and your dad can do the work required to get excellent playability.

The springs in the trem on the Jr aren’t very good. If you can get better springs you might be able to get the trem set up with 3 springs. On mine the springs were kind of weak, but I did manage to get it to return to pitch my adding the fourth spring included with the guitar, and backing the claw out farther from the wood in the cavity.

Have you looked at Harley Benton. They seem to have some really nice guitars, even some shredders like the Ibanez. Some of them even come with Stainless Steel frets for no a lot of money. But if you were to only have one guitar, the RG550 is a really good value. It has the original Edge tremolo on it, and is a guitar that could last your whole playing career.

What is your budget? Have you looked at some of Kramer’s offerings?
depending on how much I can sell my Pokémon card for, I'll try to sell it for around 400-500 euro, I did look at Harley benton but if I were to buy any type of tremolo I'd want it to be a trusted brand yknow what I mean? and no my dad doesn't know anything about guitar setups, I did look into krammer guitars but they're all like ehh they don't really speak to me and they're either 170 euro or 700 nothing in between so that sucks, the Jemjr and the rg370ahmz seems so perfect at the price point, and there is something about ibanez floating bridges that just feels different, they're just so much better in my own opinion, I never played a super expensive floyd but I never have played an expensive ibanez floating trem but from what I did play the difference is huge, that's one of the many reasons I lean towards ibanez more than other brands, though when I did get a replacement for my current guitar, I'll look into different brands, normal tremolo and fixed bridges, I just want something to replace my current ****ty gio, I'll try to look in international market more for a rg550 but I don't think I'm going to find anything in a reasonable price point and a good shipping price sadly but again thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think the mid-range Ibanez shredders that you're considering are a great value. One small note I'd add is that many, perhaps all, the comments about the Edge Zero II bridge seeming stiff are really about the ZPS (zero point system) that's included with it. I know I'm not alone in immediately removing that from any Ibanez that has it. It's basically a tensioner that stiffens the trem system. In theory it helps it return to pitch, and maybe it does, but in practice it's just something you have to fight when you want to be expressive with the trem. You can easily remove it or later put it back in. Without the ZPS unit, the Edge Zero II feels much like any other Floyd-style trem--it's fantastic! I had an RG1070 with the Edge Zero II for a while, and still have an S1070 with it, and I think it's an outstanding trem system.

I know this is heresy on here, but I'd take it over the original Edge (which I've had on several guitars) for its low profile, easier hex access when string changing, and (at least on the two I've had) screw-in rather than pop-in arm assembly. I really don't like those Ibanez pop-in arms, the bushings wear down and they never seem to stay adjusted the way I'd want for very long--always either too tight, too loose, squeaking, or whatever. A good pop-in assembly, like on Gotoh bridges, is the best, but a screw-in arm at least lasts longer than those annoying bushings and can be adjusted to what you'd like. In fairness, though, I think I've read that the original Edge is made of higher-quality materials, and it may itself be more durable, so if you own this a long time and play it often the Edge Zero II may need replacing or upgrading in the long run. Others could speak to that better than I could.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the mid-range Ibanez shredders that you're considering are a great value. One small note I'd add is that many, perhaps all, the comments about the Edge Zero II bridge seeming stiff are really about the ZPS (zero point system) that's included with it. I know I'm not alone in immediately removing that from any Ibanez that has it. It's basically a tensioner that stiffens the trem system. In theory it helps it return to pitch, and maybe it does, but in practice it's just something you have to fight when you want to be expressive with the trem. You can easily remove it or later put it back in. Without the ZPS unit, the Edge Zero II feels much like any other Floyd-style trem--it's fantastic! I had an RG1070 with the Edge Zero II for a while, and still have an S1070 with it, and I think it's an outstanding trem system.

I know this is heresy on here, but I'd take it over the original Edge (which I've had on several guitars) for its low profile, easier hex access when string changing, and (at least on the two I've had) screw-in rather than pop-in arm assembly. I really don't like those Ibanez pop-in arms, the bushings wear down and they never seem to stay adjusted the way I'd want for very long--always either too tight, too loose, squeaking, or whatever. A good pop-in assembly, like on Gotoh bridges, is the best, but a screw-in arm at least lasts longer than those annoying bushings and can be adjusted to what you'd like. In fairness, though, I think I've read that the original Edge is made of higher-quality materials, and it may itself be more durable, so if you own this a long time and play it often the Edge Zero II may need replacing or upgrading in the long run. Others could speak to that better than I could.
I didn't mind the zps system at all when i did try It out, compared to the floyd rose special that was there on a guitar similarly priced, the ez ii was sooo much better I liked it way more, I felt like it would be nicer without the zps system but I'm not really sure yet, would have to try it out once I have it, I kinda baby my guitars so I don't think it would wear out that fast haha, thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

‘It is my understanding that the bridge on the RG550 that I just ordered has the original edge. If it shows up with something else I will probably send it back and wait for the Blue Floral Premium Jem to come back into stock. The only reason that I bought the RG550 is for the trem.

I love the pop in bar. It can be positioned where I want it easily, and I can use it subtley much easier than with an Original Floyd.

·
Registered
159 Posts
‘It is my understanding that the bridge on the RG550 that I just ordered has the original edge. If it shows up with something else I will probably send it back and wait for the Blue Floral Premium Jem to come back into stock. The only reason that I bought the RG550 is for the trem.

I love the pop in bar. It can be positioned where I want it easily, and I can use it subtley much easier than with an Original Floyd.
Yes, I believe the RG550 should have an original Edge. I was talking about the Ibanez RG370ahmz mentioned by the OP, which is listed as having the Edge Zero II.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I first got this Jem Jr Sp it was pretty rough. I did a fret level/ polish, adjusted the neck, and bridge. I did a total set up.

Then, I upgraded the:
1. bridge pickup to a DiMarzio Crunchlab
2. Upgraded tone block to 37mm fat brass block
3. Upgraded all the wiring with a custom harness from 920D.
4. Ordered custom Sperzel machine heads.

After all that, It plays better than most guitars I've owned. But, I had to spend an extra $225 to get it that way. And, if I hadn't been able to do it all myself, it would easily have cost another 150 for the fret level and set up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I first got this Jem Jr Sp it was pretty rough. I did a fret level/ polish, adjusted the neck, and bridge. I did a total set up.

Then, I upgraded the:
1. bridge pickup to a DiMarzio Crunchlab
2. Upgraded tone block to 37mm fat brass block
3. Upgraded all the wiring with a custom harness from 920D.
4. Ordered custom Sperzel machine heads.

After all that, It plays better than most guitars I've owned. But, I had to spend an extra $225 to get it that way. And, if I hadn't been able to do it all myself, it would easily have cost another 150 for the fret level and set up.
The JEM Jr. does look like a really nice platform for upgrades and mods. For someone capable of doing this, $225 plus the original purchase price isn't bad for the guitar you end up with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get a jem7vwh man.
do I look like I have that kind of money lmao, thats the main reason I was looking for opinions on cheaper ibanez guitars, the 370 n the Jem Jr lol. and besides that it's not worth it imo to spend more money on a guitar that isn't that much better or doesn't offer that much more

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.