Ibanez JEM Forum banner

361 - 380 of 664 Posts

·
Vendor
26,321 Posts
It's sprinkled thru the thread.

First look, shock, I studied it, saw the symmetry, some of the little details, realized it's changed alot, but in essence has changed little.

Not a fan of the covered pickups, never have been, but they fit the look, as would regular colored dimarzio's. Don't love the multi colored vine but I understand it.

Like the new pedals, it's a nice design refresh. Like the way they over radiused the upper horn rolling it into the first pedal, and then continued the extra radius for the rest of the front like an 97' would be. The rolled off back of the lower bout tip, the extra relief to the back of the lower horn, all details I do like. That they are keeping the JEM [hear his voice saying so was an overdub in one of those video's? LOL] leaves the door wide open for many alternative, but I've been begging for alternatives for years. We'll just have to see what comes. But Steve did make these in Japan which is what I have been punching them for the hardest. The lack of anything Japanese production. I don't doubt there will be Premiums but I'm so happy these came out as Japanese first. I just wish they had made alot more.......

I don't doubt at some point we'll see a new Japanese JEM, I know we'll probably see Chinese PIA JR's. I would love to see a 7 string PIA, or I'd love to see the 7JEM return as a new model, I'd love to see a UV but honestly, the PIA7 or JEM7 are the avenues forward for anything 7 string. The UV was always more RG than JEM. It's time for it to be closer.

And I'm sick of reissues so I'm really happy he has now focused on something new.

I didn't keep any, I didn't keep any 30ths, the policy is if something comes in something goes out, and I don't have anything I would give up for anything that's come out recently, or has been on the market. Although Zoro is tempting but not from any fiscally responsible angle, I just think it would be cool to put them together 8O

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm surprised at how limited the limited's seem to be. I guess due to color association i assumed they'd be making as many as the 777 30th's.

EDIT: Nice pics too. Not sure i like the pia logo on the headstock, kinda mustachey, but maybe it'll come around to me like the rest of the guitar has.

·
Registered
610 Posts
That they would make less colored PIA's than 30ths, loco.
Word, they didn't seem to have a problem unloading the 30ths. Maybe a way of testing the waters? Shame, cos i'm not really into the SLW.

And we still have no word on if "3761" has any meaning behind it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
That they would make less colored PIA's than 30ths, loco.
That does seem pretty crazy, almost everyone I've seen who is either lovestruck by the PIA or interested in buying one is interested in the coloured models, based on YouTube comments mainly the Pink and Green models. Almost all the pictures of it online in thumbnails and in discussions seems to be based around the green one, I think it's a mistake but then what do I know.

·
Registered
610 Posts
That does seem pretty crazy, almost everyone I've seen who is either lovestruck by the PIA or interested in buying one is interested in the coloured models, based on YouTube comments mainly the Pink and Green models. Almost all the pictures of it online in thumbnails and in discussions seems to be based around the green one, I think it's a mistake but then what do I know.
The pink and green are the standouts imo. I think i like the green over the pink atm, the pink is just a little too girly even for a Vai sig. The other 2 don't track on my radar, and i'm just window shopping after all.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you're Steve Vai you can get a neck specifically made rather than butchering a production neck if you want a scallop or true temperament frets, (where converting an old neck would result in more work).
What we've been trying to tell you, is that in most cases, LACS does exactly that: modify a production neck. I'll shoot you some pictures to prove it later today.
j

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very true.

I especially love when he talks about the most important thing. And the most important thing is how you feel. Because everything is filtered, twisted and colored thru that.

For example; if you feel that everyone is mean and stupid, it makes you to see the world that way. The world is mean and stupid if you think so, and it becomes your reality.

On the other hand, if you think that everyone is kind and beautiful, it makes you to see the world that way. So then that becomes your reality.

Basically, what he is saying, it's all in our heads. All in our heads how we perceive the world.
And that's why the most important thing is how one feels. And recognizing, that feelings and thoughts may filter and twist the view of the outside world :)
Hostile people live in a hostile world.
Loving people live in a loving world.
Same world.
-Dr Wayne Dyer

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I agree with @Rich for a long time there was nothing new from Japan from Steve Vai just lots of premiums and lowers level guitars. Maybe people don't love it, but there is a new high quality guitar. Whether or not it's exactly what Steve plays isn't the point. It's out there, you can choose to buy it or not. I'd rather new stuff I don't like (granted I care about the JS line and not the JEM/PIA) but still I'd rather they take risks and create new high quality guitars even if they don't all please me. I buy what I like, I avoid what I don't. PIA is there. If you don't like what is available to buy don't buy it. If you want it to look like Steve's get it modified. It's your money. Nobody is forcing you to spend it. I am disappointed that the maple fretboard JS isn't japanese but whatever. I'm not buying Korean. It sucks but that's their choice and I can't change it. We will see what happens next year.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I agree with @Rich for a long time there was nothing new from Japan from Steve Vai just lots of premiums and lowers level guitars. Maybe people don't love it, but there is a new high quality guitar. Whether or not it's exactly what Steve plays isn't the point. It's out there, you can choose to buy it or not. I'd rather new stuff I don't like (granted I care about the JS line and not the JEM/PIA) but still I'd rather they take risks and create new high quality guitars even if they don't all please me. I buy what I like, I avoid what I don't. PIA is there. If you don't like what is available to buy don't buy it. If you want it to look like Steve's get it modified. It's your money. Nobody is forcing you to spend it. I am disappointed that the maple fretboard JS isn't japanese but whatever. I'm not buying Korean. It sucks but that's their choice and I can't change it. We will see what happens next year.
Agreed on the PIA. Do what you want. Like what you like. I disliked PIA from the leaked images but the better images really got me to appreciate it a lot more.
I thought the 30ths were nice too but TBH I'm not their demographic. I just couldn't see myself paying $3,500 for a guitar even if I have it - but I'm glad they're out there for people who will buy.
Also, IMO the JEM and the JS to me felt like playing "someone else's" guitar and I think the Jem, and especially the PIA, personify Steve. I like wearing my own boots.
But I did gig a lot with a JS100 in the 90's; with an Evo in the bridge and, yes, with the hideous LoTRS2. I thought all the new budget JS's were made in Indonesia? Honestly, the cheaper blue one is tempting just to kick around on. I stopped using the JS because I needed 24 frets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well after watching the "worst gig" steve video, i hardly think that the white PIA is not all scalloped, but the Xjumbo stainless steel fret makes it look like it is !

Maybe i'm wrong but every video/picture of namm with all steve's PIA are standard factory exept for the fernandez

Just check closely i'm sure the fretboard is flat with 4 last frets scalloped only

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well after watching the "worst gig" steve video, i hardly think that the white PIA is not all scalloped, but the Xjumbo stainless steel fret makes it look like it is !

Maybe i'm wrong but every video/picture of namm with all steve's PIA are standard factory exept for the fernandez

Just check closely i'm sure the fretboard is flat with 4 last frets scalloped only
You can see it clearly in some angles, and in some of the other videos

It's pretty clear here though too in that worst gig video.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had a real problem with these when saw the leaked catalog photos here a week ago. Growing on me now.

As I looked back over all the JEM’s since 1987, the reality is that his guitars are art, and Steve does limited runs of each similar to a painting.

Saw these yesterday at NAMM. Stainless frets really first rate on these. Neck is beautiful. For a player guitar, think these are fantastic. Working on the wife to get permission to purchase one at some point in the future. Asked Steve do a brief video to my wife to convince her to allow a PIA purchase. He did it. Guy is gracious and hilarious.

Long live King Vai!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well in this picture from the same video i don't see any scalloped fret, Just big frets ok a flat fretboard
You can't see the clear curves on the edge of the fretboard? Because I can see the scallop really clearly in that photo.

Just for reference here, this is a heavily scalloped neck. Notice how you can't tell because the camera is looking at it straight on? Those scallops are massive when you look at it with an angle. You can see quite clearly at any sort of angle that Steve's guitar is scalloped so what are you trying to achieve here? Are we pretending the scallops don't exist?

361 - 380 of 664 Posts