Ibanez JEM Forum banner

381 - 400 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
http://instagr.am/p/B7Zd16XnVN1/
This is from Steve's instagram account, maybe i'm wrong but i don't really see a scalloped fretboard...
Maybe it is another guitar too, i assume it is his guitar because of the straplocks on it

And i'm not trying to achieve anything like you said, i'm just a little bit confuse and just sharing my humble opinion

If i'm wrong that's not a problem, i'll be pleased to admit it !

·
Registered
448 Posts
http://instagr.am/p/B7Zd16XnVN1/
This is from Steve's instagram account, maybe i'm wrong but i don't really see a scalloped fretboard...
Maybe it is another guitar too, i assume it is his guitar because of the straplocks on it

And i'm not trying to achieve anything like you said, i'm just a little bit confuse and just sharing my humble opinion

If i'm wrong that's not a problem, i'll be pleased to admit it !
Aye that one is completely stock, the one with scallops has a sustainer in the neck position.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is golden!

Trying to find a factory made guitar that fits every spec I'd like is never going to happen. Guitars that are modded and relic'd from actual use are the most interesting. Tells me a bit about the player and you won't see one anywhere else like it. I've contemplated having a guitar built to my specs, but I've also grown fond of buying used guitars on the cheap and refurbishing them to my specs. When I spend $1500-$2000 I'm afraid to put a scratch on it. When I buy a used Prestige for cheap, level the frets, change the pickups, and set it up to my preferences then I've already bonded with it. It's already banged up a bit so it doesn't matter if I scratch or ding it again. It's a tool I feel comfortable using rather than an investment.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is golden!

Trying to find a factory made guitar that fits every spec I'd like is never going to happen. Guitars that are modded and relic'd from actual use are the most interesting. Tells me a bit about the player and you won't see one anywhere else like it. I've contemplated having a guitar built to my specs, but I've also grown fond of buying used guitars on the cheap and refurbishing them to my specs. When I spend $1500-$2000 I'm afraid to put a scratch on it. When I buy a used Prestige for cheap, level the frets, change the pickups, and set it up to my preferences then I've already bonded with it. It's already banged up a bit so it doesn't matter if I scratch or ding it again. It's a tool I feel comfortable using rather than an investment.
I absolutely agree man. My favorite guitars are the ones that i wound up piecing together and making it my own. And the one i have that is more expensive, i am always paranoid about people touching or me bumping it haha.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anybody that modifies a guitar to suit their needs based on if it's going to kill the resale value has their priorities upside down. You modify a guitar because that's the way you want or need it.

The sustainer is not going to happen except aftermarket, why continue to bring it up over and over again? One company won't play ball, but anybody can have it done themselves. There is no butchering involved unless you decide to do the work yourself with a screwdriver. Anybody competent enough to be a first class tech can do the job with absolutely professional results.

If you think having Ibanez have Fujigen scallop a neck is going to cost less than your local luthier would charge, I'd say the difference would be negligible.

What's funny, and absolutely nothing personal intended, is that you would immediately modify a green one into something completely your own, but continue to argue you can't buy exactly what he plays off the rack. 8O
I was trying to quote this, but guess I hit the wrong button. Anyhow, just noticed my reply above looked out of context so hope this helps it make sense.

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
There were x amount of guitars allocated to the US and they allocated them to dealers they way they wanted to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will say this, other than the pink, the domes on the others' volume knobs totally interfere with the Ultralite bar when the pull filter is engaged. :/

Not an issue with a regular 2LE21B bar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just don't understand why it's so important to have exactly what Vai is playing. Are the complainers fans of Vai himself or the JEM?

There's no real way to word this without sounding like a dick, but I figure most people able to afford these guitars are way past the hero-worship phase and are doing their own thing at this point. Do the same people wanting Ibanez to release the EXACT thing he's playing also have his entire rig duplicated at home? Where does it end? Picks? Shoes? Shades? I know there's a few guys I've seen on YouTube that make the same faces and stuff and while they've been great players, they're just getting made fun of more than they are gaining fans because if people want to listen to Vai play, they're going to listen to Vai, not the guy who spends all his time trying to be like him.

I just don't get any of the bitching. If Ibanez put all his mods into production, the cost of the guitar would reflect that and people would bitch even more. Just save your money and buy the guitar as normal then use that money saved to have someone do the mods yourself if they're that important. If the mods are in demand THAT much, surely it won't be hard selling the guitar for more money after, right?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just don't understand why it's so important to have exactly what Vai is playing. Are the complainers fans of Vai himself or the JEM?

There's no real way to word this without sounding like a dick, but I figure most people able to afford these guitars are way past the hero-worship phase and are doing their own thing at this point. Do the same people wanting Ibanez to release the EXACT thing he's playing also have his entire rig duplicated at home? Where does it end? Picks? Shoes? Shades? I know there's a few guys I've seen on YouTube that make the same faces and stuff and while they've been great players, they're just getting made fun of more than they are gaining fans because if people want to listen to Vai play, they're going to listen to Vai, not the guy who spends all his time trying to be like him.

I just don't get any of the bitching. If Ibanez put all his mods into production, the cost of the guitar would reflect that and people would bitch even more. Just save your money and buy the guitar as normal then use that money saved to have someone do the mods yourself if they're that important. If the mods are in demand THAT much, surely it won't be hard selling the guitar for more money after, right?
Yep. I'm on here because I'm into the JEM series and other similar high end ibanez. Not because I'm a Vai fan particularly. I figured the JEM thing was bigger than just Vai fans by this point.

The guitar i play the most these days is a PGM I've modded way past the point anyone would recognise it as a signature guitar either. It's mine!

As with any of the posts on here other opinions are available. 🙂

·
Registered
448 Posts
On the carbon bar, I've got one and I hate it, the thing is too bulky and gets in the way, less is more when it comes to the size of the bar, the weight is non-existent anyway.

This kinda misses the point of the topic, which was that Steve doesn't play his own signature models as he specs them, and that he gets special made stuff that the customer can't get (which is fine, many artists do, I was simply pointing out that fact). The first video of him playing his new signature was a heavily modified guitar compared to what was announced just a day later. And it's just the continued discussion about Ibanez not providing a sustainer despite fans asking for it for decades, and Steve using it for decades. The sustainer is a guitar butchery kinda job that is expensive to get done aftermarket, but I can go out right now and buy a brand new guitar with a sustainer system from stock that costs about as much as the price difference between a new Prestige 7V and a PIA, an RG550 falls roughly in that price range too, the price hike is huge.

It's not about me or anyone else personally wanting to play exactly what Steve plays, it's more the principle of discussion and the huge price point of the guitar, at £3100 for the production PIA we're in a completely different ballpark to not that long ago when a MIJ 7V was £1700. I'm not a fan of the PIA anyway, it's just an exercise in adding bling to an already bling guitar, and then slapping a whopper of a price tag increase on it, I don't doubt it will sell well in the first year though so what can I say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Larry has been working on a sustainer, or the grapevine says. That does not mean Steve will like it or adopt it, the sustainiac is there but he won't use it. So poke all you want, Steve likes his Fernandez, Larry would have to work a miracle to get something Steve would approve, but Larry can work miracles.

At 4:30+ Steve calls it a Sustainiac. Could possibly be a slip of the tongue.

·
Registered
448 Posts

At 4:30+ Steve calls it a Sustainiac. Could possibly be a slip of the tongue.
I'm surprised he doesn't use the Sustaniac to be honest, it takes up less room, makes less of a mess and most seem to feel the actual pickup part of it sounds better (can't say I've tried them side by side so I have no opinion). The Fernandes system is like installing a computer motherboard inside your guitar, it's why this whole situation bewilders me.. I hope in future this Dimarzio project actually gets some traction and Steve makes the switch, it will certainly make his signature models more interesting and attractive to have a sustainer option.

Edit : HOLLLLD UP a second, that IS a Sustaniac on the PIA in the video! World just got turned upside down.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This has changed things guys

Now I actually look closer it seems that his PIA guitars have Sustaniac systems, not Fernandes sustainer systems. This goes against the whole thing of "We can't have a sustainer because Steve refuses to use the Sustaniac".. This is going to make me even more unbearable, apologies in advance.

For reference.

·
Registered
245 Posts
For one, it's the internet, but the other bigger reason is that he originally introduced the JEM as a signature guitar that would give buyers the same thing he himself was using on stage. That, and while a lot of us have no problem swapping pickups out, the sustainer is a far bigger hassle and yet a primary feature on many of his stage guitars have one built in right away, even to the point that before anyone even saw one of these, he's got them in the first ones shown in his presentation video.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This has changed things guys

Now I actually look closer it seems that his PIA guitars have Sustaniac systems, not Fernandes sustainer systems. This goes against the whole thing of "We can't have a sustainer because Steve refuses to use the Sustaniac".. This is going to make me even more unbearable, apologies in advance.

For reference.
You are right; saw it on the two official promo videos; look it at the green and yellow guitars holding on the amp racks and we he is naming the colors.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken. :D

381 - 400 of 664 Posts