Ibanez JEM Forum banner

481 - 500 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
There would be a much bigger market if Ibanez offered MIJ JEM's in colors that many on here want. Instead we get subjected to Steve's art desires each year.
Did they ever make an all-white MIJ JEM? Like Evo/Flo? I would think that would be a very high seller, since it's what Steve has played most of the time, for many years? (and isn't as loud as a drag queen show at Marti Gras, LOL)

·
Registered
23 Posts
There would be a much bigger market if Ibanez offered MIJ JEM's in colors that many on here want. Instead we get subjected to Steve's art desires each year.
Did they ever make an all-white MIJ JEM? Like Evo/Flo? I would think that would be a very high seller, since it's what Steve has played most of the time, for many years? (and isn't as loud as a drag queen show at Marti Gras, LOL)
Not sure if you're joking...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe that both the Jem and the Pia will still have a market after Steve simply because they are awesome guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge, High end Specs and awesome craftsmanship.
How many guitars can you buy right now with a floyd that have high specs? The majority of the people will always look for cheap solutions. Real musicians want real instruments.

I also believe that the Ibanez Jem or Pia will become a bit like the Gibson Les Paul... the question is: Will Ibanez get other famous guitarists to use a Jem or Pia and change the specs accordingly (a bit like the les paul)?
Just curious about what other people think.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I believe that both the Jem and the Pia will still have a market after Steve simply because they are awesome guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge, High end Specs and awesome craftsmanship.
How many guitars can you buy right now with a floyd that have high specs? The majority of the people will always look for cheap solutions. Real musicians want real instruments.

I also believe that the Ibanez Jem or Pia will become a bit like the Gibson Les Paul... the question is: Will Ibanez get other famous guitarists to use a Jem or Pia and change the specs accordingly (a bit like the les paul)?
Just curious about what other people think.
While the Jem is a nice instrument I think a better argument for the above is the RG. I don't even remember seeing a photo of another big musician other than Steve Vai using a Jem. Maybe Adam Levine here and there?
Meanwhile there are many, many photos of Ibanez artists using RG's, S's, and nowadays especially - the AZ.

·
Registered
57 Posts
While the Jem is a nice instrument I think a better argument for the above is the RG. I don't even remember seeing a photo of another big musician other than Steve Vai using a Jem. Maybe Adam Levine here and there?
Meanwhile there are many, many photos of Ibanez artists using RG's, S's, and nowadays especially - the AZ.
I have seen a few famous musicians using the Jem. But yeah you are right, the RG could be even a better example. But in my mind I was thinking more along the line of " Gibson-Les Paul-Slash model or Joe Perry Model " similar to "Ibanez-Jem/Pia - John Smith or Jack Butler model" if it makes sense...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure if you're joking...
If you've followed my posts, you'd see I don't "follow" the JEM mythology, because I can't play them. I think they are awesome guitars, and I am a huge fan of Vai, but I can't play the things. So no- I'm not joking in that I don't know the complete "Mythology and History of JEM" lol

Way back when, in my hard rock days, a bandmate had one of the very first neon green JEMs, signed by Steve. I didn't like it back then. I forgot about JEMs (but not Steve) until recently, when I ran across a JEM woody, which I thought was a gorgeous instrument. Tried it- nope, still can't play the thing LOL. Those necks are like 1x4's... VERY flat and VERY wide. I prefer Fender and Charvel/Jackson neck profiles. If I could get a PIA with MY neck profile, I would.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Yes, the JEM7VWH. Ibanez got that one right. 😉

·
Registered
327 Posts
There wasn't a big decal on the 7VSBL, and those ended up getting blown out.
Was the 7VSBL a flop at the time?
I remember seeing one in Ishibashi and thinking it looked like a JEMmed up Yamaha Pacifica and being really underwhelmed at the time.

Weird because I'd really like one now.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
There wasn't a big decal on the 7VSBL, and those ended up getting blown out.
Was the 7VSBL a flop at the time?
I remember seeing one in Ishibashi and thinking it looked like a JEMmed up Yamaha Pacifica and being really underwhelmed at the time.

Weird because I'd really like one now.
Ibanez is suffering from something known as "the flops." "The flops" are good, usually expensive, guitars that struggle to sell. A case of "the flops" can be particularly bad when it is contracted by a flagship signature model. Ibanez is taking precautionary measures to make sure the PIA's do not come down with a case of "the flops" by limiting the number produced. I searched for PIA's at 4 online retailers that would advertise them if they had them and found 1 gold model still available along with the white version. I wonder how many PIA's Ibanez will actually build?

The proliferation of AZ's suggests they are doing well (no "flops" there...except for maybe the pastel pink model...I don't know), the Satriani's seem to do well, and I'm sure many others do well too. But some JEM's have suffered from "the flops" so by "resetting" Vai's signature model to the PIA, Ibanez can retool their strategy for preventing "the flops" and maintaining the PIA as a flagship signature model.

Unfortunately, we may not see many PIA's in stores if they sell out online in less than 1 month. That surprised me!

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
The VSBL was not a flop. The buyer was overly aggressive and the cut the model off a year early, they got caught with too many in inventory and did a closeout. Whenever somebody sees a closeout discounted anything they automatically think it was a flop. It wasn't, If I had been an authorized dealer at the time I would have bought all the closeouts.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I didn't say it was a flop. I said they ended up getting blown out, and that's exactly what happened. I think they were $999 at the end.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
You didn't, seems like everybody else took it that way and did. Just correcting.

I thought they were $850
I suggested Ibanez has had some flops. My basis was on the dealer's general expectations and whether or not those expectations were met. After some thought, the dealer's expectations may not have been reasonable. The models in question were very expensive, only 1 was guitar ordered of each model, and they took a long time to sell. They may not have been flops elsewhere but I would not know. This was also more recent than the time of the VSBL

481 - 500 of 664 Posts