Ibanez JEM Forum banner

621 - 640 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
You are right. The Utopia's are hot, but I don't find them to be harsh. I do find them a little more sensitive in my attack vs. the EVO's. If I play softly, they clean up nicely, and when I play more aggressive, they sound dirtier.

I agree with the others that maybe pup height could help, and also try experimenting a bit with how the pups respond to your playing (if you haven't already). And of course lastly, it is possible the Utopia's just aren't your thing and need to swap them out to something that meets your ear.

Oh....and congrats on the PIA!
The Utopia's instantly clicked with me, probably my favorite pickup so far. I like them more than the Evos and Gravity Storm on my other rgs/jems (haven't tried the evo2 or breed, I know I know!). They are actually hotter than my Sonic ecstasies in my Majesty too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Utopia's instantly clicked with me, probably my favorite pickup so far. I like them more than the Evos and Gravity Storm on my other rgs/jems (haven't tried the evo2 or breed, I know I know!). They are actually hotter than my Sonic ecstasies in my Majesty too.
I'm into them now. Took me awhile to adjust. The PIA is an amazing player guitar.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I dig the Utopias. I might put them in a guitar. Not a fan of the aesthetics but the sound is great.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I dig the Utopias. I might put them in a guitar. Not a fan of the aesthetics but the sound is great.
Luckily now Dimarzio appears to be offering all their pickups uncovered. I definitely find them gaudy with the covers, even though I do kind of like the pink and black ones haha. Also I feel like the split tones are even spankier than the evos in my JEM which makes me want to try a Utopia middle for more of my guitars

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I was not much into pup covers because there was nothing to them, usually looking like a big chrome or gold rectangle in the pup areas. Personally, I like that they added some design elements to the covers. On the PIA, it pulls the whole guitar design together.

Now, if the covers are not your thing, I see Dimarzio introduced the Naked option, allowing the buyer to opt for no covers.

(I see newbieguitarmaker and I posted minutes apart, so my statement echos the Dimarzio options)

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
Cosmetically, I still can’t get past the petal grip.

I really don’t like the fact that they’ve rounded the body off either, I really like the very square sides and small radius of the JEM’s body :( even months later the more rounded PIA still looks to me like someone tried to make a JEM copy out of a 1990s EX series.

·
Registered
155 Posts
. Also I feel like the split tones are even spankier than the evos in my JEM which makes me want to try a Utopia middle for more of my guitars
Agreed. This is a noticeable and welcome addition with the pickups. Flip that selector switch to the second position, and while playing communication breakdown, I'm getting this incredible early Jimmy Page tele sound.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I still haven't seen a PIA out in the wild, nor do I know of anyone who has one. Do we think there is going to be a new colour for 2021 or just a continuation of the White, with the others discontinued?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I still haven't seen a PIA out in the wild, nor do I know of anyone who has one. Do we think there is going to be a new colour for 2021 or just a continuation of the White, with the others discontinued?
Would love to get Rich's take on what he's hearing. With no NAMM and the manufacturing challenges of 2020, would be curious.

For the people above noting body style of the PIA, I like mine. Super ergonomic. We all go through "favorite guitar" phases, but the PIA is the most comfortable thing I've got for playability right now. Neck and body are perfect. Add the steel frets, excellent.

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
Nobody will know anything till mid December but I'd expect some Indo version of the PIA. I'm not sure you'll see much else, they can barely make production demands, everything is out of stock and not due till next year so I stocked up on what I could like everybody else. He who has gets the sale after all. I don't expect the manufacturing challenges to subside for a year, 6-7 months until there's enough vaccine and then months to catch up on unfilled production. Might even take longer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sucks there won't be any NAMM 2021 threads on forums, but i assume most brands are introducing new models in January right? I'm hoping for a miracle UV as usual...

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
Personally I'd love to see a PIA7.
Everything will go live like last year, 1/1, except for what would be show specials, I'm guessing, which I don't know if they're release 1/1 with everything else, but that only makes sense since there is no show to "show" them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think the paint job is what I didn't like last time (as in last year's announcement), too much bling. To be honest even the 7V is too much bling and I've owned one forever, but my body wasn't ready for how much they turned up the dial with the PIA bling. I'm sure I'd like the actual guitar, but I dunno if I'd like it enough to spend over 3 grand on it. I had actually saved up for buying a PIA before it was even launched, I had my dreams set on a new MIJ Jem. In the end I built a Warmoth and bought an EVH Frankie, with about a grand left over.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think the paint job is what I didn't like last time (as in last year's announcement), too much bling. To be honest even the 7V is too much bling and I've owned one forever, but my body wasn't ready for how much they turned up the dial with the PIA bling. I'm sure I'd like the actual guitar, but I dunno if I'd like it enough to spend over 3 grand on it. I had actually saved up for buying a PIA before it was even launched, I had my dreams set on a new MIJ Jem. In the end I built a Warmoth and bought an EVH Frankie, with about a grand left over.
I thought you said you owned a PIA in an earlier thread, or was that a 777?

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Personally I'd love to see a PIA7.
Everything will go live like last year, 1/1, except for what would be show specials, I'm guessing, which I don't know if they're release 1/1 with everything else, but that only makes sense since there is no show to "show" them.
Use your clout, power, and influence and it will happen. ;)

Do you have any pics of "show specials" from past NAMM shows? I'm not sure I have ever seen one. (Only if you have a moment.)

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
Clout? :lol:

After I quit doing NAMM reports and decided to actually enjoy some time there, they're just all mixed into the linked folders. you have to go thru and find them.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Clout? :lol:

After I quit doing NAMM reports and decided to actually enjoy some time there, they're just all mixed into the linked folders. you have to go thru and find them.
You have clout. ;)

I guess I'm wondering if the "show specials" were unique, creative, and aesthetically impressive guitars? The RG-GOLD's come to mind.

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
Show specials, JSART's, DNA's, HAM100's, basically anything that's not in the catalog is a show special. Dealers won't find out about it until the show, unless you used to have clout and the right people weren't fired or moved on. We all still have contacts but I really don't care what's coming, I really only care about the holes they leave in the line that could sell very well. The FP25th followed by an FP3, ball dropped, the JS25th, which turned into the ART, game saved, etc.

They better come out with some MIJ trem 7 strings, S's almost don't exist, big holes.

621 - 640 of 664 Posts