Ibanez JEM Forum banner
641 - 660 of 681 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Got my green PIA recently...
I'd say I'm 9/10 on the happy scale.
Everything was great as expected, aside from the petal grips that seemed "sandy rough" to touch, about 30% (surface area) on the inside of the petal grip near neck pup and 40% on the bridge pup. Both grips look great visually though.
I didn't notice it right away but as soon as I kept picking it up the past couple of days, the inside of the petal holes should have been smooth like the monkey grip. I have a few Japanese Jems and non of them feel sandy rough when stroked and touched", lol.
Not sure if it's the spray technique on the finish or paint that needed more sanding.
Contemplating to exchange but the hassle of waiting for another one and probably getting the same imperfection makes me think twice.
Any PIA owners who have "rough-touch-" petal grips?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Everything was great as expected, aside from the petal grips that seemed "sandy rough" to touch, about 30% (surface area) on the inside of the petal grip near neck pup and 40% on the bridge pup. Both grips look great visually though.
I didn't notice it right away but as soon as I kept picking it up the past couple of days, the inside of the petal holes should have been smooth like the monkey grip. I have a few Japanese Jems and non of them feel sandy rough when stroked and touched", lol.
Not sure if it's the spray technique on the finish or paint that needed more sanding.
Contemplating to exchange but the hassle of waiting for another one and probably getting the same imperfection makes me think twice.
I have the same on the inside of the monkey grip on my 2019 Jem 7vwh. Probably 60-70% rough.

It's clearly a step they don't worry too much about in the factory. I assume they use mechanical polishing machines that don't get into these areas very easily. I agree that for the money they should be paying more attention to it. I wouldn't swap my Jem though, its a cracker in every other way.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Its simple. The Pia won’t sell well at all and Ibanez doesn’t care because they make their money off the jem premium and especially the junior. That’s why they killed the MIJ jem.

They don’t care about the fans. Only profits.

They couldve at least kept the MIJ white jem as the only jem model from Japan.

Except for hipsters who would pay $3500 for this flamboyant looking guitar. It looks feminine.

Most people will buy the discontinued jems from the used market and of course the price of them will increase

All they did was make people stop buying from Ibanez. They don’t care as the juniors sell like candies. Just search jem on youtube and 95% of videos are about the jem junior

A cheap guitar that should not cost $500 as every part is cheap and rough. There are much better guitars out there for that price.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Bought a white one from Rich back in May. Presumably made pre-Covid shutdown issues.

Went to check for roughness. Very, very mild roughness on about 10% of it. Don't feel it is an issue whatsoever. And the roughness is not visual.

Is yours visual?

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
Over the last 35 years the grip, whether it is a monkey grip or petal cutout, has always been rough to the touch. Any replacement will also have the same roughness to it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bought a white one from Rich back in May. Presumably made pre-Covid shutdown issues.

Went to check for roughness. Very, very mild roughness on about 10% of it. Don't feel it is an issue whatsoever. And the roughness is not visual.

Is yours visual?
At close look, the roughest spots look like there's sprinkled white powder. Not sure if it's polish residue. The finish of the whole paint job in general somehow makes it less obvious.
Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Over the last 35 years the grip, whether it is a monkey grip or petal cutout, has always been rough to the touch. Any replacement will also have the same roughness to it.
Thanks for the input. I checked out some of my Jems and you're right...
All do have a certain surface area of roughness inside the grip. Some barely noticeable to touch and some very minimal.
Probably due to the smaller petal grips, it's harder to get in there to smoothen it out.
It'll be a keeper...
I'd just think of it as serving it's purpose, with the roughness increasing tactile perception when gripped. :smile2:
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I have the same on the inside of the monkey grip on my 2019 Jem 7vwh. Probably 60-70% rough.

It's clearly a step they don't worry too much about in the factory. I assume they use mechanical polishing machines that don't get into these areas very easily. I agree that for the money they should be paying more attention to it. I wouldn't swap my Jem though, its a cracker in every other way.
Yeah I have the same on my 2015 JEM and my DBK and my Pia

·
Registered
7 Posts
New member, first post. Just received a new PIA (stallion white) last week, first ibanez I've owned too. Initial thoughts are what's going on with the pickups?

I've had other signature guitars and the only other one that reminded me of the pickups in the PIA were two Jackson PC1's that I ended up selling because they sounded flat or 1-dimensional with the gear I use.

Could it be a dimarzio thing? Maybe I don't have the ear for appreciating their tone or the chops for their feel?

Would you consider swapping out pickups on a brand new PIA?

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
If the playability is there, I’d have no qualms about swapping pickups on day one. It wasn’t uncommon for folks to order new guitars and new pickups at the same time, even before they’d played them!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Would you consider swapping out pickups on a brand new PIA?
I've gone through a hate/love/unsure relationship with the Utopia pickups. I have Evolutions on a different guitar and prefer those. Waiting to hear (and see photos) from the first one of you who changes them out.

Also curious what the PIA looks like without the pickup covers and a pair of Zebra humbuckers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Suhr aldrich and JB laying around unused. I really want to put one in and try out.

Maybe I'll remove the pickguard, just unsolder the input jack and frankenstein up an old picukguard to get the aldrich or JB in for testing out.

But the Utopia split settings sound unique, almost like a piezo or acoustic sound, so maybe that's the point...

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the playability is there, I'd have no qualms about swapping pickups on day one. It wasn't uncommon for folks to order new guitars and new pickups at the same time, even before they'd played them!
Absolutely!

I have two Jackson custom shop orders in right now. A DK1 and a Soloist. Jackson does not offer the pickups I want so I ordered the guitars with stock Jackson pickups and ordered the pickups I wanted for each. I have the pickups waiting for the guitars to be delivered. Once the guitars arrive the pickups will be swapped immediately.

To your point, I specifically designed both guitars with a pickup swap as a central part of the plan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems crazy to order a Pia and change the aesthetics by switching pickups. This guitar is all about the visuals, let's be honest. Surely it's possibly to remove the Pia pickup covers and solder them to a different pickup? Alternatively, Im sure a custom pickup builder could modify them for you...possibly even Dimarzio themselves.

The only Dimarzio pickups I have are the Evos in my 7vwh. They are a bit "flatter" sounding (for want of a better word) than others I have. But they are also the easiest to get a good recorded tone from and the easiest to dial in through any rig. Very versatile too- I can get them sounding almost like an archtop...I think the resonance of the Edge helps with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For players it is still about the feel and sound right, but yeah not for many.

The PIA feels more comfortable to me then the JEMs that I've played in the past.

In the booklet, letter from Mr. Vai that comes with it, he says that the covers effect the sound to him.

The pickups are growing on me. For distorted leads they scream and sustain of course. I am able to get some more quack like sounds clean if I boost with lots of compression.

On first delivery there was some fret buzz. I raised the bridge a very small amount and it went away for a few days but now it is back slightly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For players it is still about the feel and sound right
Thats often true, yes... although I think "players" are generally more influenced by aesthetics and mojo than they sometimes admit.

But with an OTT, ostentatious signature guitar like the PIA the specially designed pickups are a major part of the package/ vibe/ aesthetic/ "vision".

This isn't a blue collar workhorse axe. The "player" argument falls a bit flat here IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This isn't a blue collar workhorse axe. The "player" argument falls a bit flat here IMO.
Well I play it, like the way it plays and I don't like the looks much at all. I do like the petal grip over the monkey and the curves on the body.

Look wise I prefer traditional strats and les paul customs. But I am glad I finally bought an Ibanez and didn't let the looks of the PIA stop me.

I wanted a 24-fret, floyd, HSH guitar with a wizard like neck shape. I guess there could be other Ibanez models? I was looking at Friedman, Jackson, Suhr and Knaggs. I love the neck and feel of the PIA and the scalloped 21-24 frets are cool, never played that before.

But the looks don't do it for me at all.

It is a great playing, feeling, expressive instrument to me. If I ever make a video I'll use one of my Les Paul customs, lol. Now what does a "blue collar workhorse axe" mean anyway. I would bet 99% of the people on these boards are not professionals who make the majority of their livings playing a guitar.

641 - 660 of 681 Posts