Ibanez JEM Forum banner
661 - 680 of 681 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Now what does a "blue-collar workhorse axe" mean anyway?
What does your heart tell you? ;)

In all seriousness, you have a point. There is no reason a PIA could not be someone's main guitar that acquires wear and tear over the years while fulfilling its intended purpose: to be played. That is what a "blue-collar workhorse axe" intuitively means to me. Ironically, the PIA does not really qualify at the moment simply because not enough time has passed for it to have acquired wear and tear from being played, but that will change.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Today i have got the fitting strap for my new "Green Envy". I love the concept of the "PIA". It's a piece of art, and simultaneously an excellent player.
Although there are controverse discussions about PIA, i think it is a technical and optical facelift of our beloved JEM after almost 35 years, that was necessary. I personally like the new "JEM", now called PIA.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Today i have got the fitting strap for my new "Green Envy". I love the concept of the "PIA". It's a piece of art, and simultaneously an excellent player.
Although there are controverse discussions about PIA, i think it is a technical and optical facelift of our beloved JEM after almost 35 years, that was necessary. I personally like the new "JEM", now called PIA.
I got my Envy Green PIA yesterday and agree it's a facelift. A softer and more feminine appearance. And I plan to order that same strap in the non-Clip Lock version!!! I mean, it's an exact match for the pickups. You HAVE to buy it!! :grin2:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’m going with Steve; stainless steel frets are for people who either don’t know how to handle an instrumental and dynamics or are hard core metal players - thanks for that point because I don’t blindly worship anyone except Allah (bismillah alrahman alraheem) so when THE electric shred metal god goes for nickel , I will trust his judgment - no one brutalizes guitars like Vai. Especially live - so despite his lack of tech work and his expertise in playing, I defer to Steve Vai and nickel frets

thanks for the OP

ps WYLD stallyns,you don’t have to agree with everyone here - you’re right to your own opinion and this site never was a troll site - so state what you feel without fear of reprisal - this was an open forum for Ibanez lovers so if you love Ibanez for almost as long as me and rich and Jono, don’t let new members make you quiet

·
Registered
663 Posts

Stainless is nice for those of us who would prefer to not replace frets every few years. I definitely understand how to play with dynamics, I am by no means a metal player. Neither is Guthrie Govan... (Though he can play essentially anything) But he has stainless frets as well. Anf so do a lot of other players nowdays. Even Eddie Van Halen did this with his Wolfgang line before he passed (God rest his soul).

I wear through frets about every two years and I like the idea of not needing to have a refret ever again. It does put flat spots in wound strings a little faster, but that is a small price to pay IMO. I took a risk and ordered a neck with them... Never had played them. It turned out to be an excellent upgrage. I don't like jumbos, I prefer 6105's which are relatively small... So releveling isn't really optional. And a roasted neck with stainless.... So awesome. Roasted maple feels incredible. No finish... Oiled 🤘

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just found this thread and haven't yet read or skimmed all the prior posts, though I plan to. I'm a little confused by the recent ones on SS frets, though. Doesn't the PIA, unlike most or all JEMs, have SS frets? Doesn't this suggest Vai must have changed his preference?

In any event, I'm a huge fan of SS frets. Not only can you avoid the costly and potentially poorly done refrets, but they stay smooth for bends + vibrato, too. No divots. A mirror-polished SS fret is a thing of beauty!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Idk, didn’t Steve say at a few points he likes nickel because of how he handles the strings….??? (Also just considering how Steve does handle his strings he would have to restring probably at least once per song, if anyone knows him live as I do, he breaks strings like thread - I’ve seen him get tossed another guitar because too many popped at once / SS was an Ibanez choice in my opinion based on what I’ve heard about Steve and his nickel use)

An the PiA is nice, but what would’ve been just as nice would be a 7 string 7V7 or the stallion white in 7 string option like EBMM does for JP

What is wrong with Ibanez man?

Edit - 7 string ??? A Pia 7v7 white stallion only

·
Registered
273 Posts
I’m going with Steve; stainless steel frets are for people who either don’t know how to handle an instrumental and dynamics or are hard core metal players - thanks for that point because I don’t blindly worship anyone except Allah (bismillah alrahman alraheem) so when THE electric shred metal god goes for nickel , I will trust his judgment - no one brutalizes guitars like Vai. Especially live - so despite his lack of tech work and his expertise in playing, I defer to Steve Vai and nickel frets

thanks for the OP

ps WYLD stallyns,you don’t have to agree with everyone here - you’re right to your own opinion and this site never was a troll site - so state what you feel without fear of reprisal - this was an open forum for Ibanez lovers so if you love Ibanez for almost as long as me and rich and Jono, don’t let new members make you quiet
I agree with you, I don’t worship any human. I happened to try a Jem Jr SP and after extensive work, completed by yours truly, it makes a great player. I wanted a higher end guitar. So I ordered a Premium Jem. I don’t like the cut outs on the PIA. I also don’t like the look of the pickups. So no PIA for me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Got a black one on order. Been told it should be ready by the end of July. Pickups may have to go as they're the only bit that lets the guitar down for me. Black tops with gold poles/bolts would be more my thing, bit more tasteful.

Has anyone had or experienced a Pia with a flawed finish? I've seen a post on fb where someone had a gold finish Pia with a really scuffed paint job and the dealer fobbed him off with some bs about it being totally normal.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Got a black one on order. Been told it should be ready by the end of July. Pickups may have to go as they're the only bit that lets the guitar down for me. Black tops with gold poles/bolts would be more my thing, bit more tasteful.
The Black Onyx is a good choice. I think these Utopia pickups look great and they sound better than my Jem pickups. All my Jems have the problem, that the single coil is too weak against the humbuckers and the combinations (2+4). The Utopia single coil is much more present and with the high pass filter it is very flexible. I never used the S.C. alone with the Jems.
Cheers !

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Black Onyx is a good choice. I think these Utopia pickups look great and they sound better than my Jem pickups. All my Jems have the problem, that the single coil is too weak against the humbuckers and the combinations (2+4). The Utopia single coil is much more present and with the high pass filter it is very flexible. I never used the S.C. alone with the Jems.
Cheers !
That makes sense. I just looked up specs and I see the middle pickup in an Evolution set (DiMarzio ISCV2) has an output of 160mv, whereas the middle pickup in a Utopia set (DiMarzio DP288F) has an output of 185mv. Both are on the high side for single coils, but the latter should balance better with humbuckers. The output of the Evolution bridge (404mv) and neck (294mv) didn't increase as much in the Utopia bridge (411mv) and neck (315mv), so that helps the middle catch up a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idk, didn’t Steve say at a few points he likes nickel because of how he handles the strings….??? (Also just considering how Steve does handle his strings he would have to restring probably at least once per song, if anyone knows him live as I do, he breaks strings like thread - I’ve seen him get tossed another guitar because too many popped at once / SS was an Ibanez choice in my opinion based on what I’ve heard about Steve and his nickel use)

An the PiA is nice, but what would’ve been just as nice would be a 7 string 7V7 or the stallion white in 7 string option like EBMM does for JP

What is wrong with Ibanez man?

Edit - 7 string ??? A Pia 7v7 white stallion only
What are you talking about?

The PIA’s use stainless steel frets. Vai couldn’t even tell the difference between ebony and rosewood, I doubt he had that big of an opinion on the frets, especially when he’s the last guy that ever has to deal with fretwork.

As for string changes, Thomann just put out a video last week with Thomas Nordegg re-stringing EVO and going over how often he changes strings live. You are mistaken. At most, the E and B strings will get changed out if he played that particular guitar a lot the night before. If not, they stay on until the next show.

If there’s a Vai bootleg that exists that I don’t own, I’d be very surprised. I’ve seen him snap some strings, but crap like “too many popped at once”? Anyone who has owned a guitar with a Floyd knows that doesn’t happen, even if you’re trying to make it happen. Unless you literally just grab the strings and yank them out.

And why the hell would Ibanez put the 7V7 out again? It didn’t sell the first time, despite years and years of people on this very forum saying, “Man, if they just released the 7V in a 7-string version, I’d buy it in a heartbeat!” Ibanez threw us a bone with that one and what, 2 people on this forum bought one? They’d be idiots to put it back out again, the 7EAX probably sold more units than that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What are you talking about?

The PIA’s use stainless steel frets. Vai couldn’t even tell the difference between ebony and rosewood, I doubt he had that big of an opinion on the frets, especially when he’s the last guy that ever has to deal with fretwork.

As for string changes, Thomann just put out a video last week with Thomas Nordegg re-stringing EVO and going over how often he changes strings live. You are mistaken. At most, the E and B strings will get changed out if he played that particular guitar a lot the night before. If not, they stay on until the next show.

If there’s a Vai bootleg that exists that I don’t own, I’d be very surprised. I’ve seen him snap some strings, but crap like “too many popped at once”? Anyone who has owned a guitar with a Floyd knows that doesn’t happen, even if you’re trying to make it happen. Unless you literally just grab the strings and yank them out.

And why the hell would Ibanez put the 7V7 out again? It didn’t sell the first time, despite years and years of people on this very forum saying, “Man, if they just released the 7V in a 7-string version, I’d buy it in a heartbeat!” Ibanez threw us a bone with that one and what, 2 people on this forum bought one? They’d be idiots to put it back out again, the 7EAX probably sold more units than that.
RevDru, I know you from other forums, and I greatly respect your knowledge and honesty. In fact, you’re the only person on FAS that I am usually I total agreement with.

what I was talking about was stainless steel frets the way Vai used to perform don’t sound like it was HIS choice, I think it was an Ibanez marketing choice - now I own about 3 guitars with SS frets (IMHO EBMM JP series in the last decade is the ultimate signature and perhaps ultimate electric made today), and the rest are nickel - the only difference I can see is the nickel will start to form light grooves (after a Decade and then you need a refret or
At least recrowning ) but the strings last longer than the stainless steel frets (which have no sign of use after 5 years)

I honestly am more annoyed with string and intonation tech Than MAYBE having to get a refret in 20 years - it’s a marketing thing, and while it may prove to be “slightly” more advantageous it’s just as negligible as using stainless steel wrapped nickel core alloy strings , or those new “boutique” picks and amps - it’s just marketing

what am I talking about ? Steve never used SS before, and I also meant the way he plays; since you are familiar and well informed, would mean a lot of string friction hence pops - that’s all… Jem7vwh and 7V7 over all, best things Ibanez made (besides the UV777BK and RG2228)

what made you rejoin? You expressed your notice of the “change” here, so it’s a surprise to see you join to reply just to me :)

Was it our discussion on FAS before SSO deleted it? I still have that if anyone wants to see btw

please join http://www.8stringer.com dude

we’d love to have you

EDIT - RevDru/cifer, I was polite and as you’re crew can see I heldup my end of the bargain, so please don’t “provoke”or instigate a working peace and mutual exclusivity - idk who you “really” are but please reply privately as Jono and rich and Jemsite don’t need any carryover from other forums

So sorry - you’re wrong on many points but to avoid public embarrassment of you and who sent you I sent you a PM*

PPS

and no one knew about the 7V7, and if SSO did they certainly should’ve announced it. Otherwise if there was no major announcement on 7 string for 2013 Jem7V7 it was Kept quiet on purpose - I wonder where all those “private stock” owners went , so please - like really, I was very nice in keepin drama out of this and I would like you /all to leave me alone, and don’t start the chasing on other forums - you guys deleted my invitation for 8Stringer – The first and only exclusively 8 string guitar site, that’s enough —— seriously, and why has no one signed up? Like really dude?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Congratulations to all the owners of the PIA. I initially didn't like it, but now I love it. My two problems are 1) I wouldn't know which color to chose 2) I cannot afford it now 😄

Those who own it, which cheaper Ibanez - of any series - would you take instead of the PIA? Without considering aesthetics.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I liked the more rounded edges of the PIA body style immediately, but I'm not a fan of the tree of life inlays or the pickup cover bling. So I had a PIA-style body painted candy tangerine, paired it with an 11-piece neck from an RG1070 (headstock also painted to match), a Gotoh 1996t bridge, and Evo pickups, and this is currently my favorite guitar.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument Wood String instrument accessory String instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument Guitar Light String instrument accessory String instrument Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory String instrument

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that on a video interview of Steve Vai's worst gig which is in Albuquerque...my home town. The "Pia" model he has hanging on his shoulder has a fully scalloped fretboard. He really seems to be into fully scalloped fretboards big time. Probably since gigging with Malmsteen on the G3 and Generation Axe tours.
Fully scalloped for the poster of Vai Academy 6.0 2022!
Where can I get one? :D:p
Glasses Musical instrument String instrument Guitar Musician

661 - 680 of 681 Posts