Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tiger still top golfer even though he didn't go to Masters this year

Tiger Woods is still retaining his #1 ranking in 2014 before the Master's last round even though he didn't make it this year. I find this hard to believe that any human can be that consistent regardless of size of tournament won. If he never wins another tournament again he's arguably the best who ever lived in his career so far which is still a long ways to go to catch up with Nicklaus and his 25 year run. But that being said, he's surpassed Jack in tour wins with 7 years to spare.

http://golf.about.com/cs/historyofgolf/a/top5men.htm

"And Woods beats Nicklaus on most other counts. Woods won more money titles, more scoring titles, more Player of the Year awards - more than Nicklaus, more than anyone else. Woods has more total PGA Tour wins than Nicklaus"

While I don't follow golf like baseball, basketball, hockey, or football, Woods is up there in dominance of a sport with Michael Jordan, Nolan Ryan (pitcher), Willie Mays (batting, fielding), Wayne Gretzky, or Joe Montana, or even better compared to his stiffest competition.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I was quite a keen golfer (6 h'cap) when I was younger but these days I don't get to play as much as I'd like. That said in my opinion Tiger is probably the best we've ever seen.

Nicklaus was obviously amazing and even though he had some of other greats playing at the same time as him, I don't feel the overall quality of the field was the same back then, probably due to the popularity of the sport compared between then and now.

When Tiger came along he was so far ahead of everyone else he changed how most people had to approach their training and practice, kind of the same way Schumacher/Senna helped change the approach drivers had to take to training in F1.

His US Open win at Bethpage is still for me the best display of golf I've seen, I used to watch replays of that before big comps to get fired up lol. The course was a monster along with the conditions and he was the only one in a field full people who'd won majors before or since who could cope with it.

Had it not been for Injury and the well known marriage issues slowing him down or I think he'd probably have already beaten the record for majors too.

He even won the 08' US open injured after his knee surgery hadn't worked as planned previously in the year. Kenny Perry said it best, "He beat everybody on one leg."

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got so tired of him winning so much and the unfriendly demeanor he had towards the press. All that being said he won whether he started out at the top, stayed in the pack, or came from way behind to take a championship of finish near the top. All this helped his ranking and total tour wins. To me it's only a small part of judging if he's the best due to what majors he wins. The big picture puts him out in front, kind of like, well Ibanez. We may not have the all time sellers like strat, SG, LP, or tele but year after year we put out good stuff, retain quality, and always have a strong core of followers. There is no season where we are the fad but then again we won't fall victim to the end of a fad.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
He is doing better because he is getting laid regularly. Think about it. When he was catting around on his first old lady all the time he was at the top of his game. When it all went to squat he stopped getting laid all the time and his game went to crap.

Lindsey knows what Tiger needs to relax on the course. ;) His pregame ritual is just "different" than most.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The game needs Tiger back to keep the viewing figures up and folks getting interested in the game. Whilst he's got his work cut out recuperating Lindsey is gonna have to up her game too ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts