Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My guitar sound has really been bothering me lately and sounding like...well...cr*p! I put in a tonezone 7 and I believe me amp is decent (mg100dfx) so I think its my pedals. I use a DOD Death Metal and Grunge pedals. Now I know they're not everyone favourites but one I got as a gift and the other was my very first one. Ever since recently I've been happy with them and trying not to upgrade so I could save for my mesa amp but I've just had enough. I want something that will kind of mimic a rectifier head because I play a lot of heavy rhythm like mudvayne.

I have a chance at grabbing a boss metal zone for a decent price. Do you think it would be much of an improvement over my current pedal situation? If not, what else is out there that'll give me the sound I want without buying a multi thousand dollar amp. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It'll be hard to get something to mimic the rectifier without buying one! Although I must say the POD series do a nice job. You might want to check out Tech 21's Tri-Ac, which features 3 modes, a fenderish type clean, a bluesey overdrive and that Mesa crunch. I've heard great stuff about it. If you want there's also the V-twin Preamp/pedal to look out for a Mesa tone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I decided to go for it and try it out. It can't be any worse than what I have now and I can always get my money back by selling it or the old ones.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If I were you I'd get a Keeley modded one though, I hate the stock MT-2 sound, but the Keeley modded ones actually mimic older Metallica sound pretty well. Maybe not recto, but Mark IV is pretty good too :). Also, if you're actually looking for the recto sound, try looking for a Mesa Bottle Rocket. It'sa tube driven pedal designed to sound like a recto. Can't get much more accurate than that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
try a danelectro liquid metal pedal. it can produce some really heavy sounds and is cheep.
its my main heavy distortion pedal and i have 4 different 'metel' pedals. this is the nastiest of them all.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Solo_Hero said:
try a Boss Mega Distortion (MD 2), personally I think their pretty good, give one a try
I haven't really gotten into effects much yet... this is the first time (sadly) that I've heard of the MD-2... I love my DS-1, however : D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Instead of buying crap (more pedals you dont need), just sell everything that doesn't give you the mesa sound, pedals, amp, whatever else you got. Put it as a downpayment on a mesa. And then work your ass off and buy one. Otherwise you'll never be satified. It's worth the wait.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
for your particular amp, I would suggest a multieffects unit, like the korg ax1500g, or a podxt live. I have an older version of the same amp your using and i hate the basic sounds it makes, thus I only use it as a power amp. One of the key issues your running into trying to run just pedals through it is your cabinet isnt exactly the best in fact one of the worst marshall makes, at least that is if you have the matching cab. the point of suggesting a multieffects unit is truthfully to get some good cabinet sims down, which the korg and pod do nicely. You wont get the same tone as a nice 1960 cab but it wont hurt your wallet and youll get some over goodies to boot. You could even look around for an old ax1000g which Im still using to get most of my tones.

·
Registered
873 Posts
sepsis311 said:
Instead of buying crap (more pedals you dont need), just sell everything that doesn't give you the mesa sound, pedals, amp, whatever else you got. Put it as a downpayment on a mesa. And then work your ass off and buy one. Otherwise you'll never be satified. It's worth the wait.
i totally agree.. i had a TSL601 (one of the highest end marshalls) for three years. I absoultely hated the tone, and i tried so many things to try to make it sound like i wanted.. i probably spent 1000 dollars in pedals and processors to make it sound good and i was never ever happy.. finally decided to buy a Mark IV (i like petrucci type tone). the only thing i run through it is a delay and i couldn't be happier with it.. don't buy a bunch of pedals to mimic a certain amp.. just buy the amp itself

·
Registered
980 Posts
Before I went to a rack system 4-5 years ago, I had a Marshall MG100RCD. It's basically the same thing you have, minus the effects. The amp has a great distortion channel for the music you described...but I'd try the following before blowing a wad of cash on stuff you don't need.

1) Get rid of your distortion pedals & buy a BBE Sonic Maximizer. Add that into your effects loop. Crank your FX loop to 100%.

2) Distortion settings: Gain 10, OD2, Low 10, Mids 5, High 9, Contour 9, FDD pushed in.

Hopefully, you're running a nice closed-back 4x12 cab. That should get you in the ball park.

·
Registered
149 Posts
try a pod xt into an atomic reactor amp. you can probably score those together for approx $500 used. that would be better than most rigs for that price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.