Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is -1 today in St Paul but I picked up a space heater last night and I'm ready to go back into the garage for another guitar build. As some may know I am an explorer junkie, however, instead of going traditional I decided to do something a bit different. I took some ibby elements and gibby elements and what I came up with is the rough draft below. For now I'm calling it the "Iceplorer" although the back cutout is very Voyager like...Viceplorer??Iceplorager?? I'm starting with a solid Spanish cedar body, I have a paddle head mahogany and rosewood neck, a Hipshot baby grand bridge, locking tuners etc. All hardware is gold. Enough with this,, on to the pics! Oh, and the only thing different from the mock up so far is that I decided to do a reverse Iceman headstock:wink:
Mock up

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Andy Timmons in the bridge, Evo in the neck

body and neck. I already drew out the headstock design

hardware! the strat input is gonna be on the inside of the V cutout

hipshot bridge

this was be an AANJ affair

knob : )

that's it for now! wish me luck

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got the headstock shaped and holes drilled. had some teak oil and applied that. :mrgreen:

shaky camera work! . reverse Iceman!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Whoa this is going to be interesting...

IDK about the big cutout... the big square shape on the bottom looks kind of out of place on the drawing.... I'm watching man :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa this is going to be interesting...

IDK about the big cutout... the big square shape on the bottom looks kind of out of place on the drawing.... I'm watching man :mrgreen:
I've been back and forth on that square bottom piece too, but I'm going far it. My fiance said the cutout should be shaped like a lightning bolt??! We'll see what happens:wink:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
:p I think I like square over lightning bolt!

I mocked up this real quick for you, but I think something like this would look pretty damn cool...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got the neck pocket done, neck attached and bridge too. I did a teak oil test on some body scrap and its really close to the same shade as the neck so I think I'm going with that. Now that I can hold it, it has a nice balance and the Cedar is about the same weight as basswood, but it smells way better : ) More tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like a great job so far man! Is it going to be a set neck?
Thanks! its a bolt on. I haven't tried a set neck build yet. Someday I will! Looks like these bridges were made for set neck style guitars though so I had to angle the neck pocket a tad. no biggie, here is a shot of the contoured heel. I also sanded the back of the neck down a bit so it was more like an ibby AANJ neck as in it doesn't get blocky before the pocket.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts