Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Time for my first Ibanez...

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  tallguyjc 
#1 ·
Hello jemsite,
I've been playing for about 9 years now and I figured (since I'm starting to get even more into metal) it's time for me to get a more appropriate guitar than a strat...
Since there are so many models though I thought that I might need some help 😂
I'm looking preferably for an HH RG model that is versitile enough (from progressive rock/metal to classic rock tones) and my budget is about $500-800
Any suggestions? :3

#5 ·
I agree... You can pick up a nice gently used MIJ RG520QS for very reasonable price. Awesome quality instrument! If you are patient you can find a nice case queen MIJ Ibanez in your price range. Most will feel a lot different than your Strat, due to the flatter fretboard radius.

The JS guitars have a little more of a stratty feel, being a little thicker and rounder fretboard radius... Kind of a happy medium between an RG and a Strat. I know they are typically pricey, but you can get one at the top end of your price range if you are patient. Fantastic guitars and very versatile stock DiMarzio pickups.

#6 · (Edited)
As you see from above, simply put there are very few new HH RGs in this price range with a tremolo. Sweetwater has some good filters so when you search by price & trem it shows a whopping 4 Ibanez offerings ignoring H-H & body shape for the moment. So you might want to expand the body type or buy used or a different brand.

But if you want to stick to new and your criteria the JS140 is your best option IMHO.

#9 ·
Seems like a reasonable price... even better deal if its in great shape or comes with a hard case. I usually go to Reverb(dot)com and see what guitars are listed for. They have several RG920's from $500 to $1100 on there right now. I've never played one, but they seem like a good axe. I've always wanted an Ibanez with the offset fret marker dots for some reason... lol.

#11 ·
Used is the way to go. I find all kinds of great buys on Guitar Centers used section. You would easily be looking at a used Prestige with your budget. He'll, I think they have a Prestige RGT on there fright now for around $800 and that is a steal. Also, they always have RGT models on there. Those are neck thru RGs with a HH and Edge II trem. The Edge II could be better as far as the durability, but they hold tune well and I block mine so I dont worry about the knife edges wearing out. For $800 you could snag 2 RGT models, or one and upgrade the pickups in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.