Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tips fitting clear scratch plate to swirl RG20051

Hi there I have a very rare as I understand RG20051 black grey and white swirl. I had the guitar from new in 2005. I love the guitar but the pickups have never really done it for me and just recently decided to swap them out for some pink ones and it looks so much better and sounds a lot better too.

However I really would like to put a clear scratch plate / pick guard on to it as I feel it looks incomplete and I'm used to the feel of the guard being there.

I know it might be sacrilege but at the end of the day it's my instrument and I want it to be right for me.

So I wanna get it right and not chip the finish drilling holes can anyone advise me of a safe technique to stop the paint ripping up also where is the best place to get a clear plate that actually fits and has the holes cut for the switch and knobs as on a jem. As this guitar is a back routed guitar.

This is it so far :)

Cheers Rob :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm still undecided but only down to the rarity of the thing and that it's the nicest swirl I have seen from the RG20051 line. I did like the pickups but not enough for what I want to do and I figured removing pickups and switching knobs is a minor issue as it can be replaced if needed.

The scratchplate is more permanent but I must say its a feature I really enjoyed on the original swirls and florals.

Maybe I'll get one and loose fit it and see how I feel about it as it can't hurt to have one of those guards in stock anyways.

Thanks for the video link cheers :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts