Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local music store has a Peavey Classic 50, beat to piss but everything works great on it for $350. The presence knob actually broke off but I can still adjust it, just not as easily as if it was not broken. I can fix that for cheap....

I am contemplating if I should buy it or not.

Life is full of important choices... it's just easier when you don't have to make them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
How are you set for gear? Do you like these amps particularly?

Generally speaking, I say that if you have to ask, don't buy it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
It will not sound like a Marshall or a Boogie. It's kinda like a wierd Fender tweed combo sound, so if you're doing Vai/Satch stuff...besides, that price sucks. It took me 5 seconds to find this ad for a 4-10" ad below*****

fogetabowdidt.

Peavey Classic 50 in A+ Condition - $299

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2005-07-12, 2:05PM PDT

This tube-driven Peavey Classic 50 guitar amp is in excellent condition cosmetically and electronically. Three 12AX7s and four EL84 power amp tubes, normal and bright inputs, 3-band passive EQ, and presence control, 50 watts into 16 or 8 ohms. Tweed covering. With footswitch. We will ship, buyer pays shipping. California buyers pay 8% sales tax. We accept cashier's check, money order, Western
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
$350 maybe if it was in excellent shape, if it's beat, that's way too much. You can get the new 1-12 Valve King combo for $400 new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they sell used on **** for $500-550 usually although I have seen some cheaper. It sounded pretty nice but if I can get one in better condition for the same price or less, forget it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bpd111 said:
How are you set for gear? Do you like these amps particularly?

Generally speaking, I say that if you have to ask, don't buy it.
I'm pretty good on gear, but I don't have any Fenders or amps with that Fenderish sound to them in that range.

I'm just not in the market for an amp and kind of... broke (and trying to fix my Major!), but I thought that was a good price, but apparently not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
red5 said:
A local music store has a Peavey Classic 50, beat to piss but everything works great on it for $350. The presence knob actually broke off but I can still adjust it, just not as easily as if it was not broken. I can fix that for cheap....

I am contemplating if I should buy it or not.

Life is full of important choices... it's just easier when you don't have to make them!
i bought a classic 50 head on the bay for like 325, and it had one nick on it . 350 is not a very good deal. You could do better with the bay.

and yes the valve king 50 watt 1x12 combo is only 350 new at www.-sa-ma-sh.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,200 Posts
I'd say the 30 would be a smarter buy than the 50, anyway - half the appeal of "tweed"-style amps is the low wattage for poweramp distortion. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jra2217 said:
i bought a classic 50 head on the bay for like 325, and it had one nick on it . 350 is not a very good deal. You could do better with the bay.

and yes the valve king 50 watt 1x12 combo is only 350 new at www.-sa-ma-sh.com
Yeah, this is a 4x10 though. I forgot to mention that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Drew said:
I'd say the 30 would be a smarter buy than the 50, anyway - half the appeal of "tweed"-style amps is the low wattage for poweramp distortion. ;)
Amen to that. Peavey has a bad habit of making these amps that try to grab the fender fans, but then make them 50-100W.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
Drew said:
I'd say the 30 would be a smarter buy than the 50, anyway - half the appeal of "tweed"-style amps is the low wattage for poweramp distortion. ;)
Im going to dissagree there. Yes, it can get the El84's to overdrive at a lower volume, but the Classic 50 has several more features that make it a MUCH MUCH more versitle amp, which I think is more important than headroom, which you can adjust with differently rated tubes. Mainly, a Master volume which lets you crank the pre and post gains for plenty of overdrive that is pretty versitle, and it has a presence knob, which is something I wished my old Classic 30 had. But, after 3 years with the Classic 30 I traded it for an 80's Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead 100w head, and Im much happier. Its a much more versitle amp, IMO.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top