Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to get an RG pretty soon, there are two major plans im considdering right now. 1. I want a white guitar but prestige quality (Minus jem price lol) so I was thinking I could get a white 350dx and throw a J craft prestige neck and an Edge pro bridge on it, then some dimarzio's. The thing is I don't know if the neck would fit and intonate right and i'm not exactly sure if the edge pro would be a direct fit. Anybody know? My other Idea was to just get a 2570e or RGR1570. Opinions?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
eh, I wouldn't mod it isnt worth it since it is a lower quality piece of wood, maybe get one of the new rg's coming out in 08 that has the edge Zero tremolo ;)
edit: I have a 2570 before the gold version and ghost inlay and I'm even considering selling some of my gear (such as my fender and some yamaha pacifica's my dad gave me awhile ago) to get one of these 2550z's, if they come out with different rg's with the zero point tremolo system and it works well then I'd probably end up selling my stuff hah

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn I wish that didn't have the Zero point system. I don't really like it even though it has more tuning stability, the added tension and lack of fluttering on those just isn't to my liking. I have heard though that you can remove the two outside springs on it and it will be looser and flutter? Thanks for the info on the 2008 guitars though, I didn't think to look at them.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Darn I wish that didn't have the Zero point system. I don't really like it even though it has more tuning stability, the added tension and lack of fluttering on those just isn't to my liking. I have heard though that you can remove the two outside springs on it and it will be looser and flutter? Thanks for the info on the 2008 guitars though, I didn't think to look at them.
well the Zero point system Edge is on the 08 guitars, you don't have to worry about that on the models out now, so any presitge right now would have the Edge pro, if you like that more. ;)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The Edge Zero is still gonna have knife edges - its not an actual ZR trem . . .
+1

To try to turn an RG350X into a higher quality instrument would be a futile attempt. By the time you spend all the money, you'd almost be close enough to actually getting one of the new white RG2550s.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
eh, I wouldn't mod it isnt worth it since it is a lower quality piece of wood
a basswood body is a basswood body, there wouldn't be that much difference and knowing ibanez, they probably don't specifically choose better quality basswood for MIJ.

if you change the neck, main hardware and elec/pups to MIJ equal. then you have an equal to Prestige custom, which is well worth it only as long as you can do it a lot cheaper than buying straight mij.. so just work out your costs and time first

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
a basswood body is a basswood body, there wouldn't be that much difference and knowing ibanez, they probably don't specifically choose better quality basswood for MIJ.

if you change the neck, main hardware and elec/pups to MIJ equal. then you have an equal to Prestige custom, which is well worth it only as long as you can do it a lot cheaper than buying straight mij.. so just work out your costs and time first
my friend has a 350dx and it's body is basswood like my Rg2570, but my body is about half the weight as his, it has much more sustain, more dynamic, better overall tone. I believe they use different grade woods from different countries if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
a basswood body is a basswood body
No. That is incorrect....Any piece of wood is not the same as any ole' piece of wood. All cuts of wood are different. Why do you think the high end builders go out of their way to hand select certain pieces for their builds?

That's not to say you won't ever get a good quality body on a 350DX (or similar guitar), but I guarantee you the wood selection on the MIJ RGs is definitely greater than the MII or MIK ones.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have to agree with Ki swordsman, woods wood. I realise that every peice is going to sound different, but thats the problem, if you think Ibanez Japan hand picks each and every peice, I have to say I think you're wrong. Unless they're tone tapping every single blank (which is debatable if it works or not) then even if they're saying I'll take this cut over that cut it's not really going to make any diffrence.
Even on high end parts, it's never the tone woods that cost extra, all alder bodies over at warmoth cost around the same price, same at usa custom, same at wayneguitars. If there were different grades then why isn't it ever shown in the price?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think it's probably more the density, porosity, hardness, or moisture content that differentiates between "good" and "bad" woods - and those can probably all affect how it'll sound. Good luthiers can probably differentiate between them just by picking the piece up. I think those factors affect the sound more than the actual species of wood (even though some species tend to have certain characteristics). It could make a difference is all I'm sayin' . . .

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
If there were different grades then why isn't it ever shown in the price?
Places like that aren't trying to build cheap guitars to begin with.

One cut of wood isn't necessarily going to be the same as another cut of wood. Some woods are just dead sounding. Other, alive. That's just a fact. Like I said, that's not to say that you won't find a good piece of wood on a lower-end model (one of my best sounding guitars happens to be a cheap old Kramer with a nice piece of alder), or vice versa, but I think you're chances are far greater with a higher end Ibanez, in my opinion. The luthiers building the higher-end stuff are probably allowed to be more selective when it comes to picking woods, whereas the guys in Indonesia aren't as picky.

But my main point is that just upgrading pickups/trem and switching neck on an RG350DX doesn't instantly mean you have a MIJ Prestige-quality instrument.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Unless they're tone tapping every single blank
Ahem, you have to be kidding, right?

Totally agree with all here who say Basswood is Basswood - it is a pretty consistent timber tonewise and (lack of) grainwise - having said that, I also agree that Prestige-ing a 350 is a waste of effort - they are a great guitar for what you spend, but by the time you have up-specced it, you would have paid for a 2550 in any case - and still not have the potential resale value.

I'd be looking for a decent RG3120 second hand - the great unsung hero of the RG line!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've seen many 350DX's worth modding, and just as many not worth a dime.
Ibanez Mid-line guitars have been hit and miss for years.....

Basswood is definately NOT BassWood,weights and densities vary more so than shades of Ibanez black paint colors. It's like a grab bag when the Store I work at gets it's master order each year..............never know good run or BAD run.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My first Ib was a 350, a good enough guitar to get the overall feel of Ibanez products and, really, not a bad guitar in its own right and within its own limitations. However the time came and I traded up.

I wouldn't go to the effort of modding one; it won't add resale value and unless you really want to have this as a keeper, you'd be better going for a used higher end model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts