Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm after an ibanez RG neck for a project i'm working on, (aswell as Bridge, hardware etc).

I popped into a local guitar shop today, and i had a go on an RG 2620, and a 350DX, just to see if i could feel the difference really.

Well... I could. i cant put my finger on what the difference was, but the 2620 just played SO much better!

am i correct in thinking the 2620 has a Wizard neck and the 350 a wizard 2 neck? the neck on the 2620 did feel thinner, but there was more to it than just that, it seemed nicer overall.

Since for my project, i need everything except the body, i was thinking it would probably be easier (and cheaper) to buy a used RG with maybe the odd mark on the body, and use all the parts from that.

I have done a bit of research, that shows that the old RG5xx series used the wizzard neck too.

do the necks from the RG5xx feel as nice as these prestige models? as buying a prestige guitar to rip apart would be quite expensive, although i do quite like the look of the Edge Pro bridge.

The donor guitar MUST have some damage to the body, i couldnt bring myself to rip apart a perfect guitar.

so what are your thoughts guys? which necks would be the ones to go for?

Thanks guys

Andy

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
He asked if they were "similar" not the same. Also, the only guitars that you're going to find with a pre-03 wizard neck would be used so it WOULD most likely already feel worn-in. But like everything else, I always say to play before you pay; otherwise you may get burned (although I haven't met the person who's played an Ibanez RG550 and NOT liked it; I really wish I had one myself).

But seeing as to how both the RG550s and 1570s can be found used, you might just want to look for a 1570 instead if you can't find a 550 or 570 to demo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You'll feel a dif...but i think it's so small (maybe 1mm at both the 1st and 12th frets) that it won't be huge. Plus, the back of the RG5 had a laminated feel to it, whereas the new ones have a smoother 'sanded' feel. Both play amazing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.