Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used it. Considering when I revamp the eletronics entirely in my ibanez (new pickups, pots, switch, etc.) to just leave a tone knob out of the equation. Never in the 15 years ive been playing have I ever used it other then when messing around with pedals.

Question is... any cons to completely removing it? What else can I use that knob for or is there a really nice looking DPDT switch I could put in there? I need two DPDT switchs in my new wireing and was going to use two push pull 500k pots. However if there is a nice looking switch I could use ill use that... I just dont want a ugly toggle there... will just use a push pull intead.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've never used it. Considering when I revamp the eletronics entirely in my ibanez (new pickups, pots, switch, etc.) to just leave a tone knob out of the equation. Never in the 15 years ive been playing have I ever used it other then when messing around with pedals.

Question is... any cons to completely removing it? What else can I use that knob for or is there a really nice looking DPDT switch I could put in there? I need two DPDT switchs in my new wireing and was going to use two push pull 500k pots. However if there is a nice looking switch I could use ill use that... I just dont want a ugly toggle there... will just use a push pull intead.
No. Theories say that the tone out of the circuit actually "improves" tone.
I'm in the same situation... I might get the tone out.

But leave the knob in the guitar. Looks better that way. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I plan to put some kind of switch there. My new wireing ive come up with calls for two push/pull pots but if im not useing the tone knob ever I figure I can get rid of the pot and put a rotary switch in its place or something.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've had a couple of guitars without tone controls and found that the tone is definitely brighter without one. No tone control at all is not the same thing as having a tone control that's just turned up all the way at all times. Even turned up to 10, the tone control has some impact on the guitar's tone. Whether removing it "improves" the tone is, of course, completely subjective. I would guess that if you have fairly dark-sounding pickups and wouldn't mind them being a little brighter, ditching the tone control might be a perfectly valid option. But try the guitar without the tone hooked up first to see what it sounds like so you're prepared for the difference.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I ditched the tone pot for a while and went back. The tone was too bright and highs were too harsh. An alternative would be adding the right value capacitor but I kinda like having the option of tone control available even if I don't use it much. If you need the hole for a switch a stacked concentric pot,both volume and tone in one stacked pot, is an option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts