Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Jemsite I just bought an Ibanez s570dxqm and I was wondering if a Tone Zone and Air Norton would be a good combo in it. I've heard both of them in basswood but never mahogany. Will it be muddy? I'm looking for a John Petrucci/Paul Gilbert/old Steve Vai type of sound. Good sustain, full, and clear.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Tone Zone doesn't sound bad in mahogany. You probably will have to play with your bass eq and tinker with the pickup height a little, but it does sound ok. It's a very thick sounding combination. See my review on the Tone Zone for my experience with it. Of course every guitar/rig combination is different so your mileage may vary. It's worth trying out though.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I've got this combination in my RG2020x. In my opinion, it's perfect. Great sustain and a very full sound.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm very interested to try this. Have any of you tried a different mahogany pup combination that sounds like how I described? Ones that you've really liked?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good or bad is subjective, but the combo will definitely sound different in a mahogany axe. In my experience the combo sounds great in basswood but less stellar in mahogany.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you are open to trying brands other than Dimarzio I would suggest a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck. I have them in one of my guitars and I love em. Mahogany tends to kind of swallow up some of the highs and upper mids. The Duncan Distortion counteracts this and gives a pretty thick tone. The Duncan Jazz has a really sweet sound in a mahogany bodied guitar, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
one man's mud is another man's fat. one man's cut is another man's shrill.

i personally love the AN/TZ combo in mahogany, but some don't like the weight of this combo. i like how full it is.

rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts