Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have played these, what is the defineing difference? I plan on getting a RG soon and want a sound to contrast with my Evo's. I want a pickup that warmer than my Evo's that will cover from fusion to metal.(Bridge)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I personally like the Tone Zone znd I think they sound great in RGs
I have a DBK that has the Breeds in it and they are similar...except when you turn them down and the Zone sounds great... so do regular nortons...theB reeds not so much....make sure you use a .001uf cap across the pot... or both will sound like poop

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry dude, I have no idea what a uf cap is.

My buddy has breeds in his jem and it sounds great, I think I would like a less nassy neck pup like a air norton to go with it. I had a Tone Zone in a alder nolt on Jackson once and I thought is was a bit to poppy, bright, sounding, but it could have been the guitar.

I still haven't decided on a RG or an S series however.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Breed Bridge can be described as a less gainy Tone Zone in my opinion. The volume is on par with TTZ and so is the overall vibe, it's just less chunky, a bit smoother, and doesn't burn as hard. The Breed is also more articulate, less compressed and a bit more versatile. If you've ever played a paf pro in the neck position, it's very close sonically to the Breed in the bridge position, which is why I opted out.

If your RG is basswood my vote would be for The Tone Zone though. If you're looking for a brighter lead bridge pickup with the attitude of The Tone Zone less some of the chunk try out a Norton, it will get you there real quick.

No experience with the Steves Special.

Mike

·
Registered
332 Posts
The breeds are great pups. Im using lots of different pups on my other guitars "tone zone, jb, super distortion, hot rails and evos".

Breed = clarity, dynamics, tone, output. Verry balanced pickups.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
megadeth said:
my friend,
steve's special SH!TS all over breed and TZ. pickup is HOT but not harsh !!
Are you even listening to his original concerns? No one here should be referring to any pickup as "better" than any other one, lest it's in the context of that person's needs. You're not paying attention. He wants a pickup that's warmer than his Evo. That is something the SS is NOT. That is something the Breed, Norton and Tone Zone ARE. To stick within the original post, that leaves the Breed. It's not as compressed as the TZ, and not as nasal as the Norton.

I like all the pickups mentioned here. It's irrelevant what I'd buy if I were him. I appologize if it sounds rough, but it's been a pet pieve of mine for a long time when people ask for opinions after they give adequate information about their situation, and their preferences, and then people come in with "xyz is the best!!! or "abc kicks all the other pickups butt!" or whatever. Well then why doesn't Dimarzio only make the Steve's Special? Why have other models?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
^^
i apologize. point taken. :)

IMO, breed is not HOT. maybe one can call it warm. but for me it lacked a certain punch. SS is not harsh like evo but it does deliver that kickass tone. TZ is great, but a little muddy to my ears. if u are looking for a low output sound then breed is the way to go.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've got two RGs with Steve's Specials and one with a ToneZone. The Steve's Special is definately lacking in warmth. The ToneZone is cool but a bit too much in the mids, less clarity. I love the sound but its 'spongey' to me, which is why I've only got one of them. When funds allow I'll have to try some other pickups...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.