Votes: 13 65.0%
  • the air zone

Votes: 7 35.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tone Zone or Air Zone? which one do you like more?

please vote on which you prefer overall and if you want tell why you do?
I am looking to gather opinions about these two
both are fantastic but i need to know which is prefered in super strat guitars with a OFR

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Definitely DON'T put the Air Zone in the neck. Even the Dimarzio tech says that it's not a good idea because the sound will be just horrible. The Tone Zone would actually sound better in the neck.

As for my personal opinion as far as bridge pickups go, If I had a guitar with an H-S-S pickup config then I'd probably go with the Air Zone. But with dual humbuckers or an H-S-H config I'd probably go with the Tone Zone.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
lyconxero said:
Definitely DON'T put the Air Zone in the neck. Even the Dimarzio tech says that it's not a good idea because the sound will be just horrible. The Tone Zone would actually sound better in the neck.

As for my personal opinion as far as bridge pickups go, If I had a guitar with an H-S-S pickup config then I'd probably go with the Air Zone. But with dual humbuckers or an H-S-H config I'd probably go with the Tone Zone.
Oops, what I meant to say was Air Norton in the neck. I guess it's Tone Zone for me then (though I can't change my vote now). ;)

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
lyconxero said:

i did . It didn't clean up for crap but the leads were super smooth and fat . it would work for a jazz player that had a harsh sounding amp but what jazz player would have a harsh amp?

it is a toss up between the two .

·
Registered
517 Posts
tone zone bridge- air zone neck , for a good balance in sound, i like the tone zone for ballzy sound but you need the air zone for the neck, good for all around softer sounding music as well as hard & heavy sound. balance is important in a super strat, mid pickup is a matter of choice, i would go with a rail, in sted of the single coil, or maybe a single stack humbucker for mid position, beats that noisy single coil. Just get a pro to wire it if you have no idear? ok Bro.

Cheers- Jake

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am regular norton neck...backed off a bit <lowered down> and a TZ in the bridge..

the reg. norton makes an excellent neck...it is better than the AN...in my opinion and they the N and the TZ split well with the standard S1 ibanez pickup...

its a beautiful thing

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I remember using a Norton for a neck pickup way back before they produced the AN. It sounded fuller than the Air Norton which has a bit of a hollowbody sound to it.

As for the AZ vs the TZ, I like 'em both, have used both pickups in both neck and bridge positions and I have to say that the TZ is a much better neck pickup than the AZ. The TZ in the bridge position does require a bit of tweaking to get it to sound good, but for some strange reason no matter what I couldn't get it to sound as good on my USA Custom as it did on my J-Customs. I eventually sold my TZ and just ended up up putting the AZ in the bridge out of desperation and it sounded a whole lot better for some reason. (Must be that insanely thick maple top on it!!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.