Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Tone zone Vs Evo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried both of this and love them ... But I don't know which to buy to fit in to my RG (basswood Body)I play Instrumental rock music.... Now I would like to hear your opinions on these two pick ups....

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i like the bottom end with the TZ, the evo is a great pickup, tho. i just didn't like it in basswood or mahogany. its sounds great in alder...i just don't like alder. ash is where its at for me and that gets a duncan custom or hot rails(strats).

rich

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
rty13ibz98 said:
i like the bottom end with the TZ, the evo is a great pickup, tho. i just didn't like it in basswood or mahogany. its sounds great in alder...i just don't like alder. ash is where its at for me and that gets a duncan custom or hot rails(strats).

rich
Now that would explain my dislike for evos (Basswood 555+evos, not a good combo apparently). ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Evo sounds great in basswood. if you don't like it in basswood, that means you are probably a fan of modern bass heavy tone.

But if you are a fan of the 80s sound, Evo is the way to go man. Mids and treble with just enough bass so you sound can cut through and still sound tight and heavy even in high gain.

But one thing I do realized is that Evos sounds quite thin and shrill in solid state amp.

In my 5150 combo, this pickup smokes man. Heavy, thick, and yet articulated.

And

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
vmx23 said:
Evo sounds great in basswood. if you don't like it in basswood, that means you are probably a fan of modern bass heavy tone.

But if you are a fan of the 80s sound, Evo is the way to go man. Mids and treble with just enough bass so you sound can cut through and still sound tight and heavy even in high gain.

But one thing I do realized is that Evos sounds quite thin and shrill in solid state amp.

In my 5150 combo, this pickup smokes man. Heavy, thick, and yet articulated.

And
i like a nice blend of old and new tone actually. i hate nasally mids, i like low end, but i like how much more versatile the tone zone is over the evo...to me. like i have said in the past, the evo is really great if you have more than one guitar in the band. it cuts through like crazy, but for my six string stuff, typically i am the singular guitar, so i have to flesh out the rest of the tonal spectrum. the TZ lets me do that...while sounding huge. my chops and technique do the rest.

rich

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
BTW, i used to own 4 5150s: 2 heads, 2 combos, and 2 straight cabs; and will still say that i wasn't as much of a fan of the evo in basswood. i had it with an rg550. fred in the neck and the evo in the bridge. the fred was great, tho. i would rather have an air norton and TZ in mahogany, but my fave basswood combo is the fred and super3.

rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.