Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my Duncan JB in an Alder-bodied guitar. As much as I love my JB, i find it just a bit too trebly and thin for my guitar, and I'm sure it'll sound MUCH better in a darker guitar like my Les Paul Custom. I've heard good things and bad things about the Tone Zone, so I'd like to hear from some experienced players, especially Mesa/Boogie players since I'm using a TriAxis.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i'm going to buy one for my basswood rg, as they seem to be a good match.

from what i have seen/heard, it's a pretty love/hate pickup. people say pickup height is a crucial thing in getting them to sound good. seems good for bassy, screaming shredding ala paul gilbert.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
going by paul gilbert's sound, they seem pretty "deep".

some people's muddy may also be some people's bassy, which is what i said before about it being either a love/hate kinda thing. as for the treble, i think it will be the opposite of "trebbly and thin".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. From what I've gathered, Petrucci used a Tone Zone in the bridge thru a TriAxis for Images and Words so I can deal with that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a tone zone in the bridge of my jackson dinky reverse and it when i put it in there it was the difference between night and day from the stock pickup! I did this some 5 years ago and its still in there.....does that tell you anything? I play that guitar alot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts