Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.

So I restrung my guitar. Took me a while as I have never done a guitar with trem and made just about every school boy error you can think of but with a lot of help on here and three days and messing around I finaly got there.

Well almost............

The top E string. Just does not sound right. I tune up with a tuner and it is bang on. But when I play open chords it just sounds terrible, especially playing, C, F, A, D. If i leave that string out, the chord sounds good, although the B does also sound slightly off, but if i hit all the strings that I should the top E just drowns out the rest because it sounds so bad.

Any ideas??

thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One word.
intonation.
I did think that and I have never tried to set up intonation before but will have a go if needed.

One thing that made me think it wasn't it the fact that out of the chords listed, C, F, A, D, D being the exception but actually sounds the best out of them all, this strings is being played open so why would it sound so bad when all the others sounds ok.............???

If i was holding down the E string and it sounded intonation would make sense to me. Please point out the obvious if I am miss understanding intonation here, as said I have never set it up, the only thing I know about it is what I read on this site in the tech section.

Thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
One word.
intonation.
This. Sometimes the saddle lock screws are a little loose and you fiddling around changing stings you might have moved it. Or it pulled forward under tension. Either way that's almost def your prob.

Unless you have a key and a very accurate tuner like a strobe tuner,you prob won't be to get it better than roughly ballparked. If you want it dead on you'll prob want to take it to a tech. Prob only cost you $20-$30 to have it professionally done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
To see if your intonation is off, play a harmonic at the 24th fret on your high E string and then play the note normally (fretted) also at the 24th. Thy should be exactly the same pitch on a correctly intonated guitar. If the pitches aren't identical, your saddle will need to be adjusted one way or the other. A well trained ear can hear which way to go, but a tuner can help too, it's not absolutely necessary though if you have a trained ear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok will have a go at this tomorrow when i have a decent amount of time to sort it out.

Thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts