Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an old '89 RG 570 in pretty bad shape to do a complete overall on as my first real project guitar. I repaired the bad neck crack to the best of my ability and that turned out great. But when I got to the Edge bridge, it was disgusting the grimiest one I'd everseen, so I cleaned it with mineral spirits, soaking it then wiping it with a toothbrush then following it up by blowing off anything else with compressed air. The trem is very clean now, but, alot of paint came off the tops of the saddles and also, they are sort of rusted. This does not effect the function of it I don't think but it just looks like hell, so I was wondering if there is a way for me to re-paint a little bit on the tops of the saddles to make it look less $**ty. Thanks for all the help.
Galen.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Paint would come off in a jiff, id say your best bet is having it powder coated or something similar... maybe someone who paints cars or bikes? but i dont know if they can handle such small pieces...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
They could be powder coated if you can figure out a way to suspend (hang) them during the process. Just be sure you can handle the extra thickness that the powder coat will add.

You could have them chrome plated if you want chrome. (or plated with something else for that matter) Paint likely won't last long. You also might condier one of the oxidising (patina) finishes (chemical blackening).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, the chemical blackening was sort of what I was thinking, but I don't know that much about it, if someone could clue me in that would be great. The plating and powder coating would work, but to be quite honest, I don't care enough about the way it looks to go around searching for someone to do it and then paying alot of money for it. Thanks for the help so far, hopefully there will be more to come. Galen.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about the chemical blackeners. They are a solution you wipe on that causes an oxidation reaction. You should be able to find them in art/craft stores. They are used for putting a "patina" look on art projects and stained glass usually. Do a search on the web.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, but like I said, for something aesthetic, I don't want to spend $90 and up, thanks though.
Galen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's not to say I even am willing to pay $90, that's just around how much they cost.
Galen.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I sandblasted one and shot it with a clear metal sealer from Eastwood. It looked cool as it came out grey before Ibanez introduced the powder cosmo finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.