Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i just got my toungue pierced today and they didn't really tell me much about care and saftey does anyone have a website or knows a place where they can explain how to take care of your toungue? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had it done back in my younger (wilder) days, and here is what i remember:

-you need to rinse with Listerine everytime after you eat, brush your teeth, etc.
- no kissing, keep your girlfriend's tongue out of your mouth, and your tongue out of anywhere that it might encounter another person's bodily fluids ;)

This needs to be done for a minimum of 4 weeks, maybe 6-8 weeks, i don't remember.
Your best bet is to call the place that did the piercing.

Lastly, i am highly suspicious of any piercer or piercing establishment that does not include instructions for aftercare to their clients.
good luck
peace

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
freedom's door said:
- no kissing, keep your girlfriend's tongue out of your mouth, and your tongue out of anywhere that it might encounter another person's bodily fluids ;)
What places could that be? :lol:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd dilute the listerine, it may be too strong otherwise.
Not sure if it applies to tongue piercings but it's usually a good idea to bathe it with slightly salted water (boil the water first, add a little sea salt as it has less impurities than table salt, let it cool and bathe gently).
As someone else said above, I'd be pretty suspicious of piercers that don't give any aftercare info.

I've recently had my lip repierced (my girlfriend did it and I did her ear cartlidge, with proper needles and sterile supplies). Piercings are cool - good luck with it! :D

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Your correct it is a good idea to dilute the listerine as you can receive a chemical infection which in some ways is worse than just letting the bacteria go at it. Foodwise I would suggest stuff you dont have to chew alot like certain soups, and specifically kfc mashed potatoes. Your going to experience some large amount of swelling as well which you may almost lose the ability to talk comfortably. Still this varies from person to person.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
freedom's door said:
Um....doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of the piercing in the first place:)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
"until it heals" should be tacked on to that.

Also, always be very careful eating, the number of broken teeth and dental injuries from people eating with barbells in their mouths is astounding.

Roger

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had mine done when I was younger. They gave me a bottle of stuff to use the first week and after it was gone I used half-strength (diluted 50% with water) Listerine every morning and night and after eating per the piercer's instructions. I also ate a lot of chipped iced (another of the piercer's tips) for the first few days (reduces the swelling and just feels good). For food, I pretty much lived on milkshakes for the first couple days then started adding various other soft items (soup, eggs, etc.). According to the person who did mine (it was done at a professional establishment), I have an unusually thick tongue with a lot of veining but they did a great job, it didn't hurt and only bled a couple drops. However it swelled a LOT and took about a week to calm down.
My other hobby is whitewater kayaking and a few years ago the ball came off of the barbell and it fell out about halfway through a class 4 rapid. There wasn't a good place to do anything about it right then so I just spit it into the water and have never bothered to replace it. I can still see the hole but I doubt it's still clear all the way through after this much time.

P.S. And the other folks are correct, keep your tongue out of other people until it heals.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the tip guys, one more thing. I am going to a trip to Veracruz in Mexico with some friends and i wonder "Can i go into the beach or swimming pool?" sould it get an infection?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts