Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but here it goes.

I am moving tomorrow and will be towing a trailer. I have 2 guitars with me and I am wondering will it be safe to put the guitars in the trailer. I should note that I am in Canada and temperature will drop to -5'C / 18'F or lower. When i stop for the night at the hotel I was planning on bringing the guitars in with me. Having the guitars in my truck will not be an option cause we have 2 dogs and a baby travelling with us all of which are more important that the guitars :D.

So im curious will this be OK on the guitars ? My Ibanez has a floating bridge and the peavey is a fixed bridge. Not sure if that plays any significance in this or not. My concern is the temperature changes on the wood obviously. Anyway, please let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If the guitars are in moulded cases (usually made with polystyrene) then they'll be okay. The trick will be to leave the guitars in the cases and allow them to acclimatise to the temperature of your destination gradually. How long will you be driving for? I've flown long haul with guitars in the hold and they were fine - as long as you allow them to 'warm up' slowly. If your cases are not moulded then wrap a few packing blankets around the cases. It'll help a bit. Good luck with the move!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The J custom is in a milder case and the Peavey is not so I will lack it right with clothing. Slowly climatising might be hard when taking from trailer into a hotel for the night. Not sure if that will be too fast of a change or not

·
Registered
428 Posts
The J custom is in a milder case and the Peavey is not so I will lack it right with clothing. Slowly climatising might be hard when taking from trailer into a hotel for the night. Not sure if that will be too fast of a change or not
As long as you keep them in the case they'll acclimatise fine. The problem for wood is quick changes in temperature. Maybe once inside the hotel room don't have the cases near the radiators or whatever!

I took one of my guitars out of it's case about a couple of hours after I got off the plane. It immediately started to gather condensation on the body so back in the case it went! That's why you need to keep them in their cases for quite a while once they've been in the cold. Check your guitars in the morning when you get up, they should be an even temperature by then.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
As long as you keep them in the case they'll acclimatise fine. The problem for wood is quick changes in temperature. Maybe once inside the hotel room don't have the cases near the radiators or whatever!

I took one of my guitars out of it's case about a couple of hours after I got off the plane. It immediately started to gather condensation on the body so back in the case it went! That's why you need to keep them in their cases for quite a while once they've been in the cold. Check your guitars in the morning when you get up, they should be an even temperature by then.
THIS^^^

I'll also add that, if you have them handy, a couple of silica packs in each case can only help matters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.