Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got an issue, my trem arm has a fair bit of play, when i try and do some subtle vibrato with it it just goes "knock knock knock" against the top bit of the arm socket. would putting some new arm bushes on solve it?

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
That does sound rather like a loose arm holder.

Also check out Rich's tutorial, on Ibanezrules - they disagree on a few pretty crucual bits, but whichever you decide to use, you should be aware of both, IMO.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that tutorial there describes exactly my problem! although it is a tiny bit unclear, is it just saying i should tighten it til the problem goes away?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
A good tip I picked up off another thread was to cut a circular disk out of a d'addario sting pack (or something similar) put the centre of the arm in the middle of the disk and push it into the arm holder. Therefore packing out the gap between arm and holder. It really works !!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Once you make sure the arm holder is tight, the idea mentioned by the previous poster will keep it snug without having to replace bushings all the time. I use plastic grocery bags and cut quarter sized circles from them.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok an update: i changed the bushings first in case that was all that was needed and its solved the problem!
i quite liked the guitar how it was, with the arm nice n loose, but hey, rather have a tight arm than a rattle!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
didn't wanna start a new thread on the same topic... so I'll just post a reply here....

My RG520 has had increasing play in the trem arm socket lately (Edge trem). I was almost certain it was the arm socket nut that needed to be tightened, and surely enough, it did have room to tighten (when I finally tried it last night). However, there is STILL fair amount (maybe same amount) of play in there. I also thought it could be the arm bushings and whatnot, but when I swap it with the arm from my JPM, it has the same play in RG, while the RG arm, when placed in JPM trem, works without any play (or at least the same as the JPM arm in JPM). So except being slightly looser (not talking about play, just regular loose vs. stiff arm movement), the RG arm behaves more or less the same as the JPM arm, regardless of which guitar you throw it in... So, my guess is that the arm itself is fine.

I'm pretty sure that the socket has been tightened as much as it will go... Is it possible that the socket has just gotten enough abuse over the years (almost 10), and can't be tightened???

thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
didn't wanna start a new thread on the same topic... so I'll just post a reply here....

My RG520 has had increasing play in the trem arm socket lately (Edge trem). I was almost certain it was the arm socket nut that needed to be tightened, and surely enough, it did have room to tighten (when I finally tried it last night). However, there is STILL fair amount (maybe same amount) of play in there. I also thought it could be the arm bushings and whatnot, but when I swap it with the arm from my JPM, it has the same play in RG, while the RG arm, when placed in JPM trem, works without any play (or at least the same as the JPM arm in JPM). So except being slightly looser (not talking about play, just regular loose vs. stiff arm movement), the RG arm behaves more or less the same as the JPM arm, regardless of which guitar you throw it in... So, my guess is that the arm itself is fine.

I'm pretty sure that the socket has been tightened as much as it will go... Is it possible that the socket has just gotten enough abuse over the years (almost 10), and can't be tightened???

thanks!
No advice here? :-(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh man... no love here!? :-( C'mon, help a fellow Ibanez owner in distress!! I hope I don't have to start a new thread...

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Well, if the trem is that old, chances are that the socket may need to be replaced. Did you buy the trem from someone? The way that the arm itself was inserted into the trem over the years could have something to do with how "loose" the arm feels. Is the arm the original arm that came with the trem? If it is, look at it closely and try to see any distinguishing marks on it to try to get a feel as to whether or not it has been rubbing on something over the years.

If you need a new socket, call Rich and order a new one. I believe last time I saw the prices for one, the socket itself was like 15 bucks. I think everything will run you 22 bucks if you include the spring, the screw and the nut.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/parts.htm#Trem Parts

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

The guitar was purchased brand new in 1998, and I had it since. The arm is the original one. The bushings have been changed several times, but I don't mind the arm rotating around, so I don't change the bushings that often. I did notice that the upper portion of the arm insert end (the portion that gets inserted into the trem bridge) is discolored and the black coat is uncovered, showing the silver color underneath. So maybe it has been rubbing on something. But I always insert the arm all the way in until it goes no further.

But what's confusing me is that the trem arm from my JPM behaves the same way (clunky) in the RG. And I KNOW that it works perfectly when inserted in JPM trem.

I'll look into getting a new socket from Rich, but I wanted to see what your guys' opinion is, and whether you've had similar experience with this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like the holder itself is loose and rotating. Tighten it.
that's what I thought.. but I tightened it with a 10mm open wrench and I don't think it rotates at all. Yet, the arm has play in it.

???

·
Registered
56 Posts
any other thoughts or ideas on what could be the reason for arm play?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'd try the home remedy tricks, such as nail polish in the bushing cut-outs (in the trem arm, take bushings out first) or inserting the arm with some thin plastic around the end.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd try the home remedy tricks, such as nail polish in the bushing cut-outs (in the trem arm, take bushings out first) or inserting the arm with some thin plastic around the end.
I knew about the nail polish trick... but I thought that's only when you want the arm tighter so it doesn't move on its own... I didn't think that it would fix any "play" like this... Well, it turns out, it DID!!!! The arm is now nice and tight, AND it doesn't move on its own (which I have to get used to, because I always played with a loose trem arm, but this is better than the clunky play in the socket). I guess I'll see how long it'll last before I have to put some more polish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.