Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an ibanez rgt42, and i replaced the low TRS II rubbish bridge with a floyd rose schaller,as it required no modification ( i just had to shorten the depth of the trem block as it was protuding out the back of my guitar). im useless with the trem and dont really need it so i want to block it off. does the guitar have to be in tune first? once its blocked off can i tune up and down to my hearts content without any hassle of a floating trem? if done properly will it be anywhere near as good as a fixed bridge? i know i should buy a fixed bridge axe but im not rich and i like the neck of my rgt42. can anyone give me the full story of all this trem blocking business. thanks

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
If you block the bridge and glue the block in place you can still use the floyd to drop pitch. All you have to do essentially is take the springs off, glue the block (it helps if the block is the right size) to the body between the trem and you essentially now have a non-floating tremolo. Im still betting you would be better off buying a tremol-no though as you can turn the whole system on and off. It should be available to buy any day now

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
shape a block of wood so it fits snugly between the trem block and the back of the trem cavity, unhook 2 of the springs and then you'll have a blocked trem.
If you remove the locking nut pressure pads you'll be able to tune any way you like, any time you like - the only difference between your blocked trem and a fixed bridge will be that it'll still take you 3 times as long to change a string and you'll need allen keys.
By the by if you were thinking of blocking the bridge you shouldn't have spend money on the Schaller - blocked TRSII is just as good as any other blocked FR derivative.

ilia

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the by if you were thinking of blocking the bridge you shouldn't have spend money on the Schaller - blocked TRSII is just as good as any other blocked FR derivative.
i done this a few years ago when i wanted to use a trem, and the TRS II wouldnt hold tuning for more than a few minutes of playing. it really was quite useless. and the schaller allowed me to expirement with trem effects. now i have decided after a few years that i dont want the trem. it was still totally worth getting a schaller. any money is worth a guitar holding tuning. i could play for days withouth having to fix the tuining. i wouldnt have done it if it was a waste of money

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
jemsite said:
Just an FYI there is no need to glue/tape anything. The string tension of the tuned guitar will hold the block firmly in place... glen
I glue the block in place as I intend to still drop the bar to lower pitch ala evh. Ive tried your method and it doesnt hold pitch nearly as well when I use the bar so I just use a dab of wood glue to keep the block from moving around, but thanks for the info its always nice to get varying opinions on things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts