Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From searching the forum, i have determined that my uv777 trem bar needs a bit of grease in the detent.
(trem is squeaking when rotated. the black paint has worn into a thin silver line inside the detent)

i am ignorant.

should i ask my neighbor, who is a mechanic, "dude, can i have some grease?", or is there a certain *kind* of grease i should use, or can i try chapstick (just read about the chapstick method while searching).

i dont want to screw up my universe. it is my only valued posession.
please enlighten me.

thanks in advance,
null

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uh, ok. i think i know what you mean.
bear in mind that my household is in no way typical. ;)

muchas gracias amigo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Usually this can be corrected by slightly loosening the screw that holds spring (that holds the bar in) and moving it slightly. Twisting it a tiny bit to the right or left (I cant remember which)and retightening screw.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Try some "white lithium grease", available at most supermarkets and home supply/hardware stores. Application with a q-tip should work wonders. The $1 tube will last you years.

Chapstick isn't lube. It's flavored/medicated wax.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kickass, Thanks!

'cause i was really thinking of using the 'stick, seeing as how that's what i have at home, but not wanting to gunk up my awesome awesome geetar.

soon i will lube, and then i shall return to being "geetarzan"!
wang wang wang !

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Rich said:
"Wax" is about the best lube there is. Just ask any surfer or skier ;)
As someone who's spent their entire life skiing (35+ years), I've never seen anyone wax their skis with a tube of Chapstick.
Ever.

The last time I checked, the bottom of my boards were PLASTIC (it's actually a compound called P-Tex), and it's fiberglass in the surfboard's case.

Wax + Plastic/fiberglass= good lube match.
Petroleum/Graphite/Teflon + Metal= good lube match.

So, since we're talking about metal here.....

·
Vendor
26,381 Posts
You called it a wax, I didn't. And BTW it's been keeping Joe extremely happy with as perfect a return as possible on his trems for 15 years. Don't knock it till you try it. I've tried white grease, NO improvement over nothing at all.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
1. We're talking about the holder spring for the trem arm. Not any other part of the trem, or whether there's perfect return or not, or who uses what on other parts.

2. Applying wax to skis isn't really lubrication. It's simply a very thin, easily worn off, surface coating.

3. Unless they changed their forumula in the last year or so, Chapstick *is* wax.

I'm not knocking it. I'm saying there are more appropriate ways to reduce friction from metal-to-metal contact.

·
Vendor
26,381 Posts
My bad, this isn't a knife edge thread?!

Any grease will do. White, black, axle, or even chapstick will work fine ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts