Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

New member and new owner of a used but nearly jem that is beautiful. The only slight problem is when the pick up selector is in the middle position the term arm catches it. Have I put the trem or Teflon washers in wrong ? Any advice appreciated

Bobz1b

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Re: Term too low ?

I was thinkinh what the hell is a TERM!!!
LOL

Washers have nothing to do with trem height.
Maybe springs are old or tension is wrong so bridge is down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ha I meant trem, am doing this on my mobile phone and don't have my glasses... The guitar is mint and only a year old everything works fine but the trem arm just catches the toggle switch when the arm is rotated upwards. Is this uncommon then ?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

is the bridge parallel ? if it is
can you bend the arm upwards a little ? or is it too much ?
you could also take a pic of the bridge from the side so we can have a look

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts

I have a UV777PBK that I've had from new and it does the very same thing! The trem angle is perfect on mine bit it still catches the switch tip in the middle position.
Sorry to say, but your trem angle cannot be correct to be hitting the switch tip. I have the same guitar. Your trem angle should be just like I have it in the picture below.

On the side of the trem you'll see the side of the knife edge- where it slides into the trem body........... It must be parallel with the body. DO NOT MAKE THE TOP OR BOTTOM OF THE TREM BODY PARALLEL........only the knife itself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the interest and suggestions guys, I will see if I can compare the trem arm with another one in a local shop maybe. I will also try and upload some pix soon. Its weird the bridge looks fine, the action low, and it plays like a dream and stays in tune so it cant be anything serious, I will let you know if I find out more

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Any chance the arm itself has been bent by a previous owner? They are usually a few inches off the body, some find that too much. If it is bent, you might not want to bend it back, since it can snap. :)

254 Posts

Sorry to say, but your trem angle cannot be correct to be hitting the switch tip. I have the same guitar. Your trem angle should be just like I have it in the picture below.

On the side of the trem you'll see the side of the knife edge- where it slides into the trem body........... It must be parallel with the body. DO NOT MAKE THE TOP OR BOTTOM OF THE TREM BODY PARALLEL........only the knife itself.

Sorry mate but the angle on mine is set perfect. I'll get some pics together this weekend off the trem and post them as Ive been wanting to photo a LNG that Ive put together, but that will be a differant thread.

·
Vendor
26,482 Posts
Depending on which model, you probably wound the action down till it's low, and since many older models needed neck shims for a good setup, that's why the bar hits the tip. If that's the case you probably don't have much pull-up range either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:DThanks again for the support guy`s. Had more time to look into it now its the weekend so I read the book, the bridge was not parallel but up at the back which was suggested on the forum, anyway I tightened the trem springs till it was correctly positioned and all seems fine, the arm clears the toggle switch and It all seems ok and plays fine which is a relief as I was wondering why it had been adjusted like that in the first place, its an `09 model and mint condition and doesn`t have any obvious wear n tear
thx again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts