Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Tremolo Angle Question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RyanzGuitarz 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, i recently purchased an rg550 with an original edge trem. I took the guitar in for a setup and right afterwards the bridge was perfectly level, action felt great, etc. However, when i got back home with it, the strings all went flat due to the fact they were still stretching. So with that said I unlocked the nuts and stretched the strings out and tuned continuously until they were good to go. After completing this process though, I noticed the back of the trem was angling upwards. This seems to have affected the action and the strings just feel all around looser compared to what im used to. I'm assuming this is a problem due to the way it now feels and because I've always been told the trem needs to be flush with the body. Its not a terrible angle but it's definitely noticeable. So anyways, what I'm asking is if I did something wrong when stretching the strings and if so how to perform the task properly in the future without affecting the trem angle. Also, if this is considered to be a problem should I go about adjusting the claw in back to counteract the tension on my own? Any help is appreciated as I'm new to these kinds of bridges and do not know very much at all about setting up guitars. I don't want to make it worse by trying to fix this on my own, but I don't know if it's necessary to take it in again. I was also wondering if it would go back to normal with a new string change and a correct method of stretching. Thank you for your time

#2 ·
I'm also relatively new here but Rich, one of the vendors on the forum, has an excellent website related all things Ibanez and explains setup in great detail. In fact he has a page on setting trem angle as well.

i believe you would need to make sure the knife insert on original Edge is parallel to the guitar's surface, but you'll find much better info on Rich's website. Its address is http://www.ibanezrules.com.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.