Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re: Tremolo Bridge "what fits where" Reference Chart (master reference thread)

if anyone has corrections or additions for the chart in the first post please let me know! Thx.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Tremolo Bridge "what fits where" Reference Chart (master reference thread)

if anyone has corrections or additions for the chart in the first post please let me know! Thx.
On the Edge and Lo Pro Edge it says it will fit bodies originally routed for Edge Pro. But on the next column it says it won't fit bodies originally routed for the Edge Pro.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I'm looking to see if anything can replace the Edge Pro 2, the chart says for the Edge Pro 2 it fit bodies originally routed for: Edge, Edge Pro 2, and will not fit body originally routed for: Edge, LoPro Edge, ZR - ??

Does this mean there is no replacement for the Edge Pro 2?

·
Registered
245 Posts

I'm searching for my next S-series and this chart helped so much with the confusion. Now I know what to look for at a glance to identify the Edge, LoPro Edge or EdgePro.
I've always loved my original Edge and LoPro and have gone back to them after a disappointing bout with the ZR system.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I recently bought a 555 and a 70V and for science took the Edge trem out of the 70V and put it straight into the 555 with NO routing needed, even used the nasty cheap existing Zinc posts - no issues.

Both cavities are IDENTICAL, still going to buy an EdgePro to replace it anyway, so if your stuck with the EdgePro2 bang in an original Edge :)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The advice regarding the edgpro 2 being only replaceable with the edgepro, is erroneous. I recently bought a 555 and a 70V and took the Edge trem out of the 70V and put it straight into the 555 with NO routing needed, even used the nasty cheap existing Zinc posts - no issues.

Both cavities are IDENTICAL.

If I can upload images will create a thread with the photographic evidence :)
Thanks please do. What year 555?

·
Registered
20 Posts

You responded to my thread before I finished editing it as my comments were incorrect!

After plugging in my brain the chart clearly shows the original Edge does fit in the EdgePro 2, if you look at my thread now it is the corrected version reflecting this.

I am going to replace the EdgePro2 in the 555 (2004 model) with an EdgePro which the table says will fit,obviously I will need to find someone to put the new trem bushings in as my "do-it-yourself" confidence isn't that good!

Also noticed the 70V trem cavity and the 555 are identical (proving the tables accuracy)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Nice! Can you confirm the Edge on a 555 pulls up 5-frets on the G string with zero rubbing any direction? If so you got a nice surprise! Tolerances (MIK, MII) vary but the chart is just a guide showing what is the expected mod-free (no damage) swapping. What's the old saying there is an exception to every.... So for example, if someone goes and buys a $200 Edge trem to put in their 555 more often than not the result will unfavorable. Emjoy.

·
Registered
20 Posts

No issues, the only "problem" is the bad finishing and roughness in the cavity, a simple filing and fine I suspect a lot of the issues are due to this catching the trem. When I first put the Edge in it caught slightly on the righthand side, which is why I filed it flat. There is a LOT of excess paint in the cavity in lumps and bumps and this could be possibly leading people to a false assumption (???) as measuring the 70V cavity and the "mark 2" 555's they were mathematically identical even the trem post spacing was exact!

Would be interested in anyone else with a "mark 2" 555 has tried this, just be sure (for science) that I didn't get lucky :D

Still going to put the EdgePro in it as cutting ball ends off seems so 1980's ;)

·
Vendor
26,528 Posts

Here is the Edge trem out of the 70V in the 555 cavity (using the 555's existing trem posts)

Its tight but does fit

You see how close the left corner of the trem is to the curve of the rout. If this one fit it's luck. You cannot put an Edge into an Edge Pro rout because it won't even reach the stud grooves. The corners of the 70V rout are not the same, they're more square, the pickguard is rounded but the rout underneath it is not.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The larger the sample size the more variation you'll find. But you did file (modify) it, even slightly. That counts for something. Maybe this was possible (and paint messy) because the router bit was worn out (cost savings) thus imprecisely cutting (tearing) away a larger trem route than intended (in the cheap & wet wood)? Tons of possible alibis. But you have a 1mm stud spacing difference and one knife edge flat thus some wiggle room.

Still, the best answer to all things is the simplest one. From roughly 2003-06 the 555 was designed (programmed & setup to route) the body for the new EP2. Not an Edge, not an Edge3 (that came in 07). This goes for all the other Ibanez guitars routed for EP/EP2.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts