Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam very new to tremolos. Whenever i do a dive bomb or pull up alot. It goes out of tune really quick. When i tune it back, iam using the machine heads at the headstock and it seems like the strings are getting tighter and tighter. Is this normal? Am i supposed to tune it at the actual tremolo system.
Is there any other important thing iam supposed to know.

BTW, iam using a 7VWH 2005 with Edge Pro

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Probably your strings are newish and are just stretching, which is normal.

The thing is, are you locking the nut? I assume you are.

It could also be that your trem's not setup properly, or has a couple of issues with knives, etc. Checkout ibanezrules' tech section or do a search here for some trem issues, and that should help you get yourself a solution.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
From what it sounds your not using the locking nut. You have never used a floyd rose tremolo before either by the sound of things. But since youve got a 7vwh i assume your a fairly adept player or at least have friends who are into shred. Id suggest a major crash course in floyd rose hell my friend!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The locking nut is the three screws before the headstock right? Or is it the bar that goes across the strings?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Three screws before the headstock. Those should be tightened after you're in tune. You'll do some micro-tuning with the bridge tuners as well after locking.

Then do as sniper says. If you go waaaayyyy out of tune, check the setup again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There pretty tight. Its just probally the new strings getting stretched then. But anyways why would i want to use the tiny screws at the tremolo when the machine heads on the headstock can to tune to perfect pitch. Its something i dont really understand because you can always get in tune with the machine heads.

Thanks in Advanced

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you can tune using the headstock tuners after you've locked the nut, you haven't locked the nut tightly enough.

Click the big, swirled banner at the top of the page and find Rich's tutorial on stringing and stretching.

Mic

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Make sure the strings are locked at the bridge too. I tend not to tighten anything too hard on my Jem for fear of overtightening and doing damage :/

Could be a simple setup issue. The trem should be flat when looking from the top or the back should be coming up at a slight angle...

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
klp2332 said:
There pretty tight. Its just probally the new strings getting stretched then. But anyways why would i want to use the tiny screws at the tremolo when the machine heads on the headstock can to tune to perfect pitch. Its something i dont really understand because you can always get in tune with the machine heads.

Thanks in Advanced
Number one no guitar is ever perfectly in tune. If anything the fine tuners will allow you to get closer to the pitch you need than the machines at the headstock. The purpose of a locking vibrato system is to keep the strings from slipping and binding at the nut and bridge. The reason the strings are clamped down is to keep them in one position. The fine tuners allow you to fine tune do to slippage, etc. after the locking nut has been tightened.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Here's one I'm curious about...

I get my guitar in tune, get the strings stretched plenty, etc... after I've locked the nut, I play for a while. Eventually it starts going a little out of tune, and I get to the point where I've tightened the micro-tuners all the way. When it gets to that point, should I loosen it before I uncrew the nut to retune it? I don't know if it'll snap the string....

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Knightmeir said:

I get my guitar in tune, get the strings stretched plenty, etc... after I've locked the nut, I play for a while. Eventually it starts going a little out of tune, and I get to the point where I've tightened the micro-tuners all the way. When it gets to that point, should I loosen it before I uncrew the nut to retune it? I don't know if it'll snap the string....
The range isnt enough to cause it to snap the strings, but ive seen it several times that loosening the string at the headstock cause a snap, but i think it was more due to the locking nut pads being a little worn on one side. Its a little difficult to explain. Anyways, I think your having a little more slippage than normal with your whole system. You may want to go over everything again. Especially your intonation screws. Do you really stretch the string thoroughly? I dont really know anyone who honestly does. Before i started really stretching mine I had the same problem as you, having to microtune alot. It could have been just been the Ernie ball strings I was using at the time as well. They seemed to want to stretch WAY too much.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi KLP, you really need to check out Ibanez rules.

When tightening the locking nut or the string saddles make sure you don't over-tighten. Push using a single finger half way along the allen wrench - don't yank on it with both hands !!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Knightmeir said:

It won't matter, if you do or don't, but you'll end up doing it at some point anyway. The string at pitch has the same tension on it no matter where the tuners are.

Plus if it's dropping that much in a short time the strings aren't stretched out enough to begin with. I've had strings on for months (not gigging) and I've rarely had to unlock the nut to keep in tune.

Okay, since you haven't said that you've gone to Rich's site I'm going to assume you haven't . . .

So here goes . . .

When restringing a guitar with a floating Floyd change one string at a time. That's first thing to make life MUCH easier . . . set the fine tuners to about the mid-way point of their travel.

When you have all the string close to pitch you need to stretch them. DO NOT lock the nut at this point. Grab a string, start at the high or low E near the 12th fret and pull it away from the fretboard a bit farther than you normally would bend the string.

Tune that sting up to about in tune again, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Repeat stretching that string. Do it over and over until it only drops ever so slightly in pitch.

Now move on to the next string. Repeat for each string.

Remember, nut should be UN-LOCKED while doing this.

After all the strings are stretched do a final tuning then lock the nut. Make sure it's snug. Press on the strings BEHIND the nut while checking tuning, they should NOT change pitch at all.

You may find a few strings have gone out of tune, when the nut is locked DO NOT use the headstock tuners, only use the fine-tuners on the bridge.

You should push the bridge down a bit after tuning each to make sure you're tuning to the "low-neutral" point. (Again, go to Rich's site for more detail there)

Once you have all the strings in tune, play a while and abuse the whammy bar a bit. Pull it up, push it down, bend the strings, hammer it pretty good (within reason) and check tuning again.

If you go WAY out of tune, either you didn't stretch the strings enough, you didn't tighten the locking nut enough, or there is something else loose on your guitar. (Note; you may notice that if you pull the bar up and check the tuning the strings may stay a little sharp, don't panic, this is normal most of the time but it shouldn't be enough that you can hear it. If it's VERY sharp, I.E. your low is is a half tone sharp, GO TO RICH'S SITE!!!!)

I'm not going to type out any more . . . Rich has done all the work already and if you want a better tutorial with pictures on all this stuff, please click the big swirly banner at the top of this page.

Mic

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
****, I think i get it now. Iam too lazy to think about this, but what will happen if i have the locking nut tight and i use the machine heads to tune?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
klp2332 said:
****, I think i get it now. Iam too lazy to think about this, but what will happen if i have the locking nut tight and i use the machine heads to tune?
You'll either break your strings or cause damage to your locking nut. Never use the machine heads to tune after you've locked your nut, never! Do you have a friend that has a floyd type bridge on his/her guitar ? If so maybe they can show you because you seem extremely clueless about this and it sounds like you're gonna do more damage to your guitar before you finally get what everyone has been trying to say to you. Go to Rich's site and read and learn. Good luck .

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
klp2332 said:
And there are two micro tuners. Which one is it?
2 micro tuners? There should be 6, one for each string.... down on the bridge. You really need to go to Rich's site. OR go back to where you got the guitar and ask someone there to teach about Floating bridges, and how to properly set it up .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts