Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one use the Freelok system yet? http://www.freelok.com
I have an RG-570 and I need one of these. The Treml-no won't work for me, and the elucid Backstop is too hard to get.

So that leaves the Tremsetter, (http://www.hipshotproducts.com/tremsetter.htm)
which I was about to get, and this new Freelok, which I just saw in GP Mag.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Art

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sniperfrommars1 said:
So why exactly wont the tremolono work for you?
What I understand, (which might be wrong) is that the Tremlno either puts the tremelo on or off. I just want to stiffen it up and not have the held strings go out of tune when I bend other strings or if I break a string. More like my Strat.

I think that's what the Tremsetter and the Freelok do, isn't it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TheOrangeChannel said:
Tremolno does not stiffen the trem....it allows you to continue with the flutters and whatnot...it locks out the trem and makes it a fixed bridge or with the Deep C mod, you can drop the bar only as well...
So the Tremolno doesn't do the same thing as the Tremsetter then. Is this correct??

I don't want to "lock out" the tremelo. I just want it to stay in tune if I break a string, and stay in tune when I bend notes and hold others at the same time.
Other than that, I like the feel of the RG770's tremelo.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Jester: My attorney has advised me not to talk about it. Sorry man.

skyelab said:
What I understand, (which might be wrong) is that the Tremol-No either puts the tremelo on or off.
You're 50% right. The Tremol-No allows you to turn your tremolo on or off, and....with the Deep-C, you can set it up for 'dive only'. This allows you to drop/alternate tune and still retain dive-only trem usage. And, if you break a string while the Deep-C is engaged, you will remain in tune.

skyelab said:
I just want to stiffen it up and not have the held strings go out of tune when I bend other strings or if I break a string. More like my Strat.
While the TremSetter and Backstop do an "okay" job of pushing the trem, you won't get *real* hardtail action from your guitar with either one. They're spring-loaded, so....they *will* move. On the other hand, a Tremol-No that's in Hardtail mode (locked down) will keep your other strings in tune as you bend. Your 770 is now a hardtail and will function as such. If you do get pitch loss from the non-bent notes, it's from neck flex.

skyelab said:
I think that's what the Tremsetter and the F****k do, isn't it?
-Tremsetter: Yes, but not 100%, every time. Plus, add the notch of the detent in the zero position, and your trem is no longer smooth.

From the FAQ page on Tremol-No.com....
Q- Will the Tremol-No™ affect the 'feel' of my trem unit?
A- No.

Unlike the TremSetter and other 'tuning correction' devices for trems, the Tremol-No is ***NOT*** spring-loaded. The TremSetter will change the feel of your trem.

GFH: You'll have a chance in about 10 days to play SEVERAL Tremol-No equipped guitars- Ibanez, EB/MM JPM, a couple of Strats. I know you're drooling now, but you won't need that cup much longer.
I promise.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The Freelok is a turd.. plain and simple.
The guy "borrowed" a couple ideas from Kev and created a POOR...I was going to say clone, but it'd be more akin to an offspring of 2 1st cousins who got drunk at the family reunion and got carried away.
I ordered one on someone else's behalf;) and took a peek at it when it arrived, not well made AT ALL. Once I sent it along to the actual owner, he told me it fell apart in about 20 minutes of use. The design, while similar to the Tremol-no, is considerably under-engineered. Brass body and something akin to a coat hanger for the locking shaft. Brass is fairly soft and malleable which means much use would change the geometry of the device, the hanger material is even more delicate.
I would recommend avoiding the Freeklok device, not even out of any loyalty I have to any one device, but out of sheer craftsmanship.

Anyway, if you can wait, hold out for the Tremol-no, I honestly think it surpasses any other locking system on the market.

The only drawback is the wait time at this point. hopefully this year we should see 'em on the open market.

Bamm

btw
Tremol-No for lefties: Yes, but the thumbscrews will be on the "other" side of the trem. Not a big deal.

Tremol-No + Tremsetter: I've heard of it being done (along with a D-Tuna), but have not tested it myself.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Interesting. The Freelok does indeed look very similar in concept to the Tremol-No. However, in my opinion the Tremol-No is a superior product because it requires no permanent modification to the guitar... kudos to Kevan for thinking through the solution beyond the basics. The Freelok requires you to screw the base of the unit into your guitar's body. Freelok installation also looks a bit more complicated than on the Tremol-No.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If anyone did want to use a Backstop type device with their tremel-no then this would be your best bet:-

It's basically half of a Backstop. I should imagine that the spring is a heavier one to compensate for the fact that it's only got one.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
*Slightly truncated repost.*
Lets see how this goes...

Hey Guys. I'll get you some quick answers, but I think we should reserve Tremol-No talk/questions for another thread.
If someone wants to start a "Tremol-No Install Questions" thread, I'll do my
best to answer the posts in it.

fettouhi said:
Can the Tremol-No be put in a left handed guitar?

Regards

André
After seeing this post, I remembered your email. :) Sorry I
didn't get back to you before. That 'swift kick' you asked for is coming.
LOL

The Tremol-No *can* be used on lefty guitars. The only difference, as Bamm
pointed out, is that the shaft/receiver section will be in Spring Slot #4
instead of Spring Slot #2 as it is on righty guitars. All other functions
remain exactly the same.

fettouhi said:
Can the Tremol-No be used in conjunction with a
tremsetter?
The quick answer is: No- the TremSetter requires you to 'split' your spring
claw using the two hooks they provide. The Tremol-No comes with it's own,
solid spring claw.

The full answer is: Depends on how tech you want to get in your trem
cavity. I've seen some guys run the Tremol-No, with a TremSetter and a
D-Tuna! They were pretty handy with a Dremel and shaped out a tiny hole in
their Tremol-No claw so that the TremSetter shaft and mount plate could be
mounted. I wouldn't recommend that setup for everyone though. Maybe 1/2 of
a Backstop would work? LOL

I haven't run any tests with a combination of units. The TremSetter and
Backstop do one thing; the Tremol-No does several others. It's sort of like
comparing apples to drywall. They're just a LITTLE different...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bamm +1....where'd Kev's info go? I like informative posts...not like it's the unseen portion of the Zapruder film, or some top secret Area51 documents...IMHO the TremolNo is a clutch invention and I'll outfit ALL of my axes when production is available..

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
bammbamm It's sort of like comparing apples to drywall. They're just a LITTLE different...[/QUOTE said:
That's awesome. :)

The Freelok is definitely in the Tremol-no class of trem mods, although it looks like a glitch-prone peice of crap in comparison. It's not a very elegant design, and looks like it'd cause friction unlocked and with only a single thumb screw I'd be worried about how solidly you could lock down - alternate tunings basically wouldn't happen.

From the sound of your initial post, you're looking for a tremsetter, not a Tremol-no (and definitely not a Freelok), although it's worth noting that on my 7620, a tremsetter would NOT keep the guitar in tune with a broken string. It's possible that with the lighter overall spring tension of a 6, this wouldn't be an issue, but it's food for thought.

My advise is if you want a trem to function like your strat's, then set it up like your strat - do a partial block to dive-only, then crank up the spring tension so it's held back against the block. This way, if you break a string or bend notes, there's enough tension holding the trem to the block that you won't go out of tune, but you can still dive. I've been meaning to try setting up my Tremol-no this way, as my roots are as a strat player, myself.

-D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.