Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting concept. Well done video.

Good luck with the series. I look forward to keeping up in the future (more for academic interest than application to my life, heh).

Perhaps in the future you could attempt to do some sort of "follow-up" (either a separate mini-series, or just update on a given vid) and try to either track the guitar when sold again, or even give a continuous running tally on the progress of future sales (assuming you are able to maintain in contact with the buyers, and assuming, of course, that they are willing to participate and share information). It would be cool to eventually collect enough data to really analyze (in terms of graphs etc).

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting concept. Well done video.

Good luck with the series. I look forward to keeping up in the future (more for academic interest than application to my life, heh).

Perhaps in the future you could attempt to do some sort of "follow-up" (either a separate mini-series, or just update on a given vid) and try to either track the guitar when sold again, or even give a continuous running tally on the progress of future sales (assuming you are able to maintain in contact with the buyers, and assuming, of course, that they are willing to participate and share information). It would be cool to eventually collect enough data to really analyze (in terms of graphs etc).

Thanks for sharing.
Hi Evan,

Really appreciate your input, thank you for watching! Having that kind of information available will be awesome. I am doing 2 more for jems, one for the JEM777SK and a JEM77UVWRF :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
The 7V7 is indeed a cool beast, I'm not surprised it was hard to let go - beefy sound! I do think Ibanez introduced it probably 10-15 years too late. While I'm by no means an expert on sevens, I imagine that by the time this Jem came out, other makers (and artists who use their sevens) have come to dominate the market and visibility, and Steve hasn't been playing a seven live for goodness knows how long.

That said, there will probably now be a niche market for these because of their short span.

PS. adorable cat, Maine ****?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 7V7 is indeed a cool beast, I'm not surprised it was hard to let go - beefy sound! I do think Ibanez introduced it probably 10-15 years too late. While I'm by no means an expert on sevens, I imagine that by the time this Jem came out, other makers (and artists who use their sevens) have come to dominate the market and visibility, and Steve hasn't been playing a seven live for goodness knows how long.

That said, there will probably now be a niche market for these because of their short span.

PS. adorable cat, Maine ****?
You right about the sound being beefy, very versatile instrument with the 5 way selector. Thank you for the kind words, that's Cleo, she's my film director maincoon

·
Registered
238 Posts
8k? you got more balls than the guys selling RG Arts for $25k, although they are worth that but Good for you and do you like the 7v7 or the uv777bk more? if you care to share ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8k? you got more balls than the guys selling RG Arts for $25k, although they are worth that but Good for you and do you like the 7v7 or the uv777bk more? if you care to share ?
Haha, hey Captian Ron, it was a challenge but if you check out the video you will see how it all worked out in the end. :) `the 7v7 is an amazing instrument that with exceptional build quality. although there have been a few uv777's around my hands haven't got hold of one as yet to comment, however, if the the uv77wrf is similar I will be taking one of those shortly :) have you got a uv777?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I do
I had two (97 jap Uv777p and 1998 American UV777BK) and almost bought a 7v7 back in 2015/2016 or so but it was too much for me to justify on a whim. I said to myself when I was a kid “if they ever make a Jem7vwh in 7 string I’ll get it” and they did - just about 15/20 years too late like rich said so astutely

Like I found It after an older gentleman who was no longer playing but he just wouldn’t come down in the price and while I get $4k, I couldn’t do it with the missing gold ….but I’m sure yours was in mint tip top Barely played

I mean I’m glad you were able to get so much : that’s why America is great, if you got the means and want it, and someone else is selling , you can make it work

but most importantly can you compare the necks and the tone?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve had 5 bucket list guitars so far, and if 4K is what is standing between you and your dream instrument, it is definitely worth it. The bucket list guitars that I have are an RS Custom Guitars 64 Special (Brian May replica made of instrument grade woods) and a 1979 Guild S300D. I did have a 79 Hardtail strat that my son sold me, be he wanted it back so I sold it back to him after some light restoration. Not really on my list anymore. I also have a Jem Premium and a Kramer Nightswan, but they are both Indonesian, so sort of bucket list.

Someone offered me a cool 10 K for the Brian May last year, but I am keeping that one for life. It cost me 2 and a half Suhrs to get it. So about 6 K worth of stuff to be able to get the RS, but I had like 4 days to come up with the cash for the RS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve had 5 bucket list guitars so far, and if 4K is what is standing between you and your dream instrument, it is definitely worth it. The bucket list guitars that I have are an RS Custom Guitars 64 Special (Brian May replica made of instrument grade woods) and a 1979 Guild S300D. I did have a 79 Hardtail strat that my son sold me, be he wanted it back so I sold it back to him after some light restoration. Not really on my list anymore. I also have a Jem Premium and a Kramer Nightswan, but they are both Indonesian, so sort of bucket list.

Someone offered me a cool 10 K for the Brian May last year, but I am keeping that one for life. It cost me 2 and a half Suhrs to get it. So about 6 K worth of stuff to be able to get the RS, but I had like 4 days to come up with the cash for the RS.
its amazing how an instrument can have an emotional attachment. Nice list, that May is def a keeper

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
It may have been overpriced initially, but the guitar did sell at a good price in the end. Plus the 8k price tag and video were an effective advertisement for the guitar...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts