Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've got a new RG1570 and I'm doing my first full set up. I want to set action as low as I can since it's pretty high from factory.

The bass side buzzes in the first 5 frets, correct me if I'm wrong but I should adjust the truss rod and the adjust the trem height right? (less relief for lower action) It's got about 1mm of relief right now.

Thanks and sorry if it's not the right forum :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
1mm is on the high side, if you want super low action tighten is a bit to get it to 0.3mm or something like that. Although, that alone probably won't help with the buzz you're having now

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got it to about .8 or .9 (hard to meassure really).

The action is about 1.8m on the bass side and I could get it to 1.4m on the trebble without buzzing but put it at 1.5 just to be sure.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd suggest investing in some feeler gauges, it'll make your measuring needs much easier. I would also suggest getting your relief down to the .3mm range like bancika said, at least down to .4mm and setting your action closer to 2mm. Those values are a nice compromise to give you uniform playing everywhere on the neck.

A good thing for all players to do in my opinion is to setup your guitar at 2 different extreme ranges to see the benefits/restrictions of each. You already did the low action/high relief one. Now try a perfectly straight neck (0mm relief) and set the action as high as it needs to be to stop buzz. You'll find what works good for you somewhere in the middle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts