Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could anyone suggest to me a neck humbucker or middle coil pickup that would give me a sound that i get when i play on my guitar without plugging into an amp or anything. just a pure sound that does not overdrive when playing to loud, kind of compressed i guess. iv tryd using my keeley compressor, it helps but it could be a lot better. I just want to hear my strings!

oh here is my gear

ibanez j custom tuned in drop c has air Norton neck humbuckr
ibanez rg550 tuned in drop c v1 neck humbucker
JVM marshall 210h w/1960 lead cab

·
Registered
339 Posts
Air Classic, perhaps? With the scooped mids, it's harder to push the amp into overdrive, and it's not the loudest pickup out their either.

That, or perhaps just any true single-coil pickup, perhaps a True Velvet of FS-1?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You could try out some handwound pickups (probably low-medium output if you don't want them to break up), they tend to be a lot more transparent than machine wound, and judging by your post i think 'transparency' might be the word you're looking for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh i sould say that the chords im playing are sometimes only 2 nots and low. kind of like bluesy but defenitly not blues but almost. like the chords are kind of bluesy but the rythem isnt so it makes it difficult to make the chords level and things. i do get a really fat sound with the humbucker and on the single its good but maybe not enough bass so maybe i should try a single with bass and highs and mids scoopd?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
You could try out some handwound pickups (probably low-medium output if you don't want them to break up), they tend to be a lot more transparent than machine wound, and judging by your post i think 'transparency' might be the word you're looking for.
If that is what you are looking for then I would suggest Bare Knuckles. They are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
With regards to a specific neck pickup for "natural" sounds, I think the diMarzio "humbucker from hell" is a good choice. It's low output and focused on the treble side of things so doesn't get boomey. I also like the Duncan Jazz neck model and their 59 model. However any pickup with enough gain will distort, so don't rule out having a hi=pass filter fitted and rolling down the volume a tad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
has anyone tried the EJ custom? how does it compare to the humbucker from hell. so far these two look like winners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh and how would it pair up with a high output bridge humbucker like steve's special? i thnk im going with the one from hell.

·
Registered
328 Posts
could anyone suggest to me a neck humbucker or middle coil pickup that would give me a sound that i get when i play on my guitar without plugging into an amp or anything. just a pure sound that does not overdrive when playing to loud, kind of compressed i guess. iv tryd using my keeley compressor, it helps but it could be a lot better. I just want to hear my strings!

oh here is my gear

ibanez j custom tuned in drop c has air Norton neck humbuckr
ibanez rg550 tuned in drop c v1 neck humbucker
JVM marshall 210h w/1960 lead cab
The wolfgang pickups are sick... the neck pickups is clear, singing and sounds amazing. Well, in a basswood/maple guitar like the EVH's anyway.

http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/EVHWPN

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yer, I was trying to get around avoid explicitly saying Bareknuckles for fear of people thinking i was working for them, after a couple of other posts where i suggested them :D:D
I know what you mean, but they are the best pickups around in my opinion; even if they are not cheap! I wish I did work for them as I could use a discount.

In this case though they seem to fit very well as they are generally very transparent.

i cant seem to find the eq of each pickup on bareknuckles website...
Best to have a look at their forum as there is a lot of specific info, and somewhere there is a sound clip of every pickup they produce. I don't think you even need to be a member to be able to hear them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they are so expensive though. are you sure that its worth it? the nailbomb looks pretty cool and seems like its one that would fit my needs but i dont know if its worth $140. haha unless i sell a lot of albums because of it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
they are so expensive though. are you sure that its worth it? the nailbomb looks pretty cool and seems like its one that would fit my needs but i dont know if its worth $140. haha unless i sell a lot of albums because of it.
I have a Bareknuckle miracle man bridge in a RGA121, it came with the guitar cos I bought it used, and as great as it is, I wouldn't had payed for it.

Don't get me wrong it's a very good pick up, but IMHO they are as good as Dimarzio's or SD's (I use Dimarzio mainly)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts