Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gonna try and set up my jem to play .12s tuned to drop C. this is my first floyd rose and i imagine drop C tuning and .12s is gonna be a radical change to my guitar so any advice would be greatly appreciated. should i just take it to a guitar tech?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Well I'm not that good at these things but when I tuned down my JEM to learn Bad Horsie the trem went into the body alot! But then you got 12's and I had 9's so that should bring it back up to about the same as standard with 9's? Just try it out and then move the springs if the trem angle is wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Hey!
I use my Jem in Drop C, with the d'addario's 10- 52 set, where I switch the 52 string with a 56, and it feels and sounds great. Some dealers will make you a set of single strings if you aske them, so you won't have a spare 52 string every time you change strings.


regards
Tony
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tony777 said:
Hey!
I use my Jem in Drop C, with the d'addario's 10- 52 set, where I switch the 52 string with a 56, and it feels and sounds great. Some dealers will make you a set of single strings if you aske them, so you won't have a spare 52 string every time you change strings.

regards
Tony
hey did you have to make many adjustments to the springs and intonation etc? or did the tension of the strings coupled with the fact they were tuned lower kind of cancel those issues out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
evolusean said:
hey did you have to make many adjustments to the springs and intonation etc? or did the tension of the strings coupled with the fact they were tuned lower kind of cancel those issues out?
Hey!

You'll have to adjust the springs when you're changing string gauges.
So, yes, you'll have to do the adjustments.
And you'll have to intonate the guitar too, but be sure the trem is at its right position before intonating, because if you adjust the springs, the trem shifts its position a little bit, the intonation won't be right, and you'll have to do it over again, and always remember to strech the strings properly.

So the bottom line is:
1. stretch strings
2. tune, and adjust the springs if necessary.
3. intonate. (if sharp, the saddle has to be moved away from the neck, and vice versa)

btw: I always use a small 1.5V battery under the bridge while changing strings, so I'm able to remove all strings at the same time, and it makes me able to clean the fretboard completely.
I know somebody likes to remove one string at the time, but that's probably okay too.

good luck

Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,342 Posts
evolusean said:
im gonna try and set up my jem to play .12s tuned to drop C. this is my first floyd rose and i imagine drop C tuning and .12s is gonna be a radical change to my guitar so any advice would be greatly appreciated. should i just take it to a guitar tech?
This is a massive setup task, I would consider taking it to a tech if you dont feel confident, but wheres the fun in that! Learn how to set it up yourself bro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Your best bet is to block the bridge this is the easiest way. Slide a piece of wood or hard plastic under the bridge on the top of the guitar where it is routed. Add some extra springs and tighten up the claw. I use 10's and jus switch out the e with a 52. for bottom end and your set to jet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
yeah block the bridge is what i was going to say. steve vai uses a 9 volt battery to do this i believe. i seen it, i think it was on the guitar he won for the grammy or whatever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
The 9v battery works pretty well-- I've used it to go from D back to E temporarily. Of course you can't abuse the trem but I only do that when I need to play some old rock or jazz...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
yeah now that i have an rg1550, ive tried the blocking of the trem and it works nicely, dont slam on the trem (cause of habbit) it could probally explod the battery in the guitar lol
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top